Scam Site? - selling iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CastilloC, Jun 15, 2010.

1. CastilloC macrumors newbie

As I'm sure a lot of other people are attempting, I want to sell my iPhone 3GS to upgrade to iPhone 4. After posting to craigslist and doing some internet research I found this site:

http://www.cashforiphones.com/

I'm not sure if this site is a scam or not. They offered $355 for my iPhone 3GS 16gb, which seems kinda high. http://www.gazelle.com offered $198.

How it works is they send you a prepaid box which you put your iPhone in, and ship off, and then they pay you in either a check or paypal.

So, scam or not?

2. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

It's not a scam, but I heard they never actually pay you what they offer you. When they receive it they will mark off the price for any little tiny blemish that may be on it.

3. CastilloC thread starter macrumors newbie

I talked to an online chat agent, and they said they sell their bought iphones to a wholesale seller which refurbishes them.

4. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

5. Kiirk macrumors member

6. CastilloC thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, that's what I feared.

Forgot about the #1 rule of online shopping "If it's too good to be true, it usually is."

7. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I've used BuyMyTronics.com before too and they are legit. The offer is low though just like your alternative.

8. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I was considering that not too long ago too, but went the eBay route.....

I just googled "cashforiphones scam?" and one person said that he told them that his iPhone had water damage or something like that, and offered him $120, he sent his iPhone in and they sent him a check for $10 or something like that.....other users said the same thing.

they're cheapo's!!

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

So, you send them your merchandise and THEN they send you a check based on what THEY say it's worth?

Just say no, dude. Put it on Craigslist -- cash only, local pickup only -- and you'll get at least as much as these folks are offering you... in cold, hard cash.

10. CastilloC thread starter macrumors newbie

In case anyone else stumbles upon this when looking to trade in their iphone, here's some sites I've found that are an alternative to craigslist/ebay, that at least look legit:

gazelle.com
    greenphone.com
    nextworth.com

11. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Let me put it this way: If you send off your phone without money already in hand, be prepared to get NOTHING except burned.

12. CastilloC thread starter macrumors newbie

You think I'll get more money selling it now locked, or after the iPhone 4 comes out, unlocked, when the devteam releases the unlock for 05.12.01

13. greemie macrumors member

That is not true. That's like saying pre-ordering your iPhone and giving AT&T your credit card info without having the iPhone in your hand, will get you nothing.

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Waaaaa! Scams on the Internet? I don't believe it. Next you'll be telling me there are places to get free pics of nekid women when have trojans viruses.

15. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

No, it isn't.

If I order a phone from Apple or AT&T and use my credit card and they charge me and I never get my phone, I have recourse: I call my credit card company and dispute the charge. This is practically a bulletproof process.

Now: If I send my phone off to some company I've never heard of and which is not national in scope and they rip me off and never send me the money I was promised, exactly what sort of recourse would I have? What are you gonna do, fly to their headquarters in some warehouse in some bad part of town and picket them?

16. greemie macrumors member

Who's saying they are not going to send you the money?

And of course, AT&T will just dispute you back.

17. ishopukisfake macrumors regular

From experience

From experience of having been stung online by fake iPhone stores I would advise you to be very careful. Sad to say but there are many devious people out there using online to scam and steal from people. Check into the website, company who owns the site and if it is a registered business and so on.

18. greemie macrumors member

I am not saying that every website will rip you off. Just that some sites will not. As ishopukisfake says, just do some recon before sending anything.

19. DaftDrunk macrumors regular

Through the desert on a horse with no name