scam?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shiunn, Jan 1, 2014.

1. shiunn macrumors 6502

Hi all,

Need some advice please. I was surfing on my safari, and was shown a pop-up new tab and a pop-up window (see screen shot). I pressed return to get rid of the pop-up window but it only reappeared. Alt-Q didn't work either. So I force-quit safari instead. Safari is working fine since. I have also done a Reset Safari since.

The website is obviously illegitimate. But my worry is, is there a chance spyware (or other -wares) been installed without my knowledge.

Please advise. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Yeah scam, seems few of these floating around now. As blueroom stated, will not harm OSX. Usually have to force quit to get rid of them and then all is fine. Was one by the FBI, this one looks to be a new one.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Outstanding grammer skills are a tipoff. Plus the government generally doesn't openly extort their citizens.:)

5. MacPC macrumors regular

Are you sure? :)

6. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

The key word was "openly". ;)

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Ransomware.

Definitely a problem for some PC users who stumble upon it.

I don't believe it can affect the Mac OS.

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

It's called CryptoLocker, it affects Windows PCs by encrypting their files till they pay a ransom. Of course you could just reinstall Windows and restore from backup but I'm still gobsmacked at how many folks even institutions don't bother doing backups.

9. AdrianK macrumors 68020

No, the message box you're seeing can be displayed by any web page with one line of code. That's why you can see the Safari icon and the URL in the dialog box, to show that it is from that particular website and not the OS.

Ordinarily, your browser would only let the site show that warning once, however they have embedded a load of invisible pages in that page. When you try to close the page, each of the 100 embedded pages is asking you if you are sure you want to leave the page.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

And even police departments don't bother to make backups.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if some of the NSA Windows machines were infected with ransomware? Just picture the hilarity, followed by military swat teams going after the ransomers.