Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traxan

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
So I got hosed. I traded a Galaxy for an iPhone 8, with the trader telling me the phone was on AT&T and unlocked. We even put my AT&T SIM chip in his phone and it worked fine. Then I went home and did a factory reset, and it no longer worked. I learned the phone was on Sprint and locked. Sprint can do nothing since they need to hear from the account holder, and he's ghosted me.

So do I have any chance of unlocking this phone without Sprint's help, or am I screwed?

And yes, I called AT&T and reported my old phone stolen. That scamming bastard has a brick now.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
If att adds your Galaxy to the national IMEI blacklist, the Galaxy can only be used overseas or sold for parts.

The only thing you can do is look for an unlocking service on eBay unless you know of a local unlocker.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So I got hosed. I traded a Galaxy for an iPhone 8, with the trader telling me the phone was on AT&T and unlocked. We even put my AT&T SIM chip in his phone and it worked fine. Then I went home and did a factory reset, and it no longer worked. I learned the phone was on Sprint and locked. Sprint can do nothing since they need to hear from the account holder, and he's ghosted me.

So do I have any chance of unlocking this phone without Sprint's help, or am I screwed?

And yes, I called AT&T and reported my old phone stolen. That scamming bastard has a brick now.
If it's a Sprint phone that is locked, how did your AT&T SIM work in it initially?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.