Scammed on CL - Out a (functional) 5S - where to next?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by runningtowin, Jul 28, 2014.

1. runningtowin macrumors member

I purchased an iPhone 5S on Craigslist to replace one I had broken. The price was high without being extreme, and the product looked great. I used it for nearly a month before it was reported lost and it's now functionally useless to me.

Morality aside (believe me, I've gotten the lectures about stolen property, etc, I just needed a phone) - what should I do next? I love the 5S, probably even more so than a larger 6, but the clock is ticking on not having a phone in 2014. Any advice? Buy a dirt cheap 4 and wait for the 6? Get a 5S from Craigslist? From Apple?

Thanks!

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Check out the Apple refurbs they always have some and then get the 6 when it comes out in Sept.

3. 617aircav Suspended

What carrier was the 5s attached to? Amazing that you are still willing to buy another from craigslist.

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

Personally I'd sell the iPhone 5S on eBay to recoup some of your loss. Acknowledging to potential buyers that it's blocked of course. In the meantime I'd buy a used 4S until the 6 comes out. At this point it's only two months away. Selling the blocked 5S on eBay would probably actually net you enough money for a 4S.

5. citivolus macrumors 6502a

I assume that it was rendered useless via an iCloud lock? If that's the case, how could the OP have been using it for a month before this happened? It was logged into the owner's iCloud account all this time and the OP didn't notice?

6. joshkhaos1 macrumors 6502

How were you able to use the phone for a month before it was black listed?

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Apple doesn't sell refurbished iPhones directly though.

8. citivolus macrumors 6502a

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

10. joshkhaos1 macrumors 6502

I would guess no. Apple certified, yes. Apple sold, doesn't look like it.

11. nox5, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014

nox5 macrumors 6502

Obviously iPhone was never icloud blocked because it couldn't be even activated. When it is reported stolen the carrier blocks imei from any USA network so the iPhone still works it just shows no service.
    Most people buying iPhones on Craiglist don't realize how risky it actually is because of this carrier imei blacklisting that can happen later.

12. joshkhaos1 macrumors 6502

Thats lame. So anybody that sells an iPhone on Craigslist for example can at any time decide to just screw over the buyer and report the phone stolen?

13. nox5 macrumors 6502

Exactly or simply not pay the bill or cancel contract and not pay etf or report to insurance as lost

14. runningtowin thread starter macrumors member

Yep, that's exactly what happened. All good until one day - reported lost.

15. joshkhaos1 macrumors 6502

That makes zero sense. Why on earth would someone wait a month or more before reporting a phone stolen?? There should be some type of cutoff date there.

16. runningtowin thread starter macrumors member

It's T-Mobile. I'd very much like to *not* go back to CL. But I also need a phone and don't have unlimited cash stores. I actually sold it as-is (i.e. full disclosure that it has an IMEI block) for $390 on Swappa. But it's just so much hassle.

----------

Well, you'd think so; but because I didn't purchase the phone, even though it's registered to me, it's not my device in the eyes of T-Mobile.

Here's what I can only assume happened: This guy stole it, sold it to me, and finally the person he stole it from reported it lost.

17. nox5 macrumors 6502

If someone absolutely has to buy on Craiglist the price would have to be either very low or/and unlocked iPhone so it can be sold to foreigners after imei gets blocked.

18. citivolus macrumors 6502a

guess you could have unlocked it and used it on another carrier...?

19. runningtowin thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately not, completely blacklisted in the US. Useable outside the US though, apparently.

20. joshkhaos1 macrumors 6502

That's the thing though, "and finally". They shouldn't honor that after its been a month. The fact that someone can just arbitrarily decide whenever they want to, to report a phone stolen is not cool.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It might have to do with the original owner not paying his bill or etf.
    So they close the account and blacklist the phone that was purchased on it. Also if he was still making payments on the phone and stopped paying is another reason why Tmobile will blacklist it etc....
    Many different reasons that you never know what will happen when buying used.
    Its a big risk.

22. 617aircav Suspended

I keep hearing this happening to people who buy used Tmobile phones. Rumor has it that Tmobile is the only carrier that blocks phones for non payment. Based on this I never buy Tmobile phones on CL, unless there is a sales receipt attached to it.

23. nox5 macrumors 6502

iPhone can still be blocked even with the receipt that shows full price paid. For example it can be reported stolen for insurance money.

24. CEmajr macrumors 601

Some people will sell it for quick cash then reported it lost so that they can get another one by just paying the insurance deductible. I think it's only $175 or something like that. It happened to me before with a phone I bought off someone.

25. nox5 macrumors 6502