Scammed on Ebay?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Disc Golfer, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

I recently sold a powerbook for parts on ebay. As soon as I listed the tracking number, they buyer filed a dispute with paypal and paypal removed the funds from my account instantly. Now I have no powerbook and no money in my paypal account. What can I do to fix this problem, or am I effed?

2. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

What do you mean by listed?

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Contact PayPal if you have not done already explaining the situation. I thought for the returns to be authorised PayPal have to receive notification of delivery back to the original seller???

This scam is becoming more and more common. eBay need to change their policies to swing the balance back to the middle and not just looking out for the interests of buyers.

4. Disc Golfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

I mailed the computer, then got on ebay and entered a tracking number for the buyer to track the package. As soon as the buyer got the tracking number they filed a paypal dispute, and my money was taken.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Seems that if you sent them the tracking number and it showed as "delivered" that would be a pretty strong argument for getting your money back.

6. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

If the tracking number is genuine, you'll get it back.

7. Disc Golfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

It hasn't been delivered yet. I took it to the post office this morning.
    That is a relief. Fingers crossed..

8. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

eBay is an absolute minefield. I was scammed out of £450 once and so did A LOT of reading.

And then never used eBay or PayPal again.

9. Disc Golfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm beginning to get that impression.
    I'd rather get mugged than scammed over ebay, as when being mugged you apparently have a chance to fight back.

10. ethical macrumors 68000

Haha interesting comparison. But on the other hand, if the guy stealing from me had a knife, I'd much rather he be in front of his computer many miles away while robbing me, than be up close and robbing me :p

11. Disc Golfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll fight a guy who has a knife. I draw the line at firearms though.

I called paypal soon after making this thread and spoke to a very helpful person who agreed that the dispute was strange. He told me that when the tracking number shows delivery I'll get my money back. The buyer is refusing further communication.

12. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I would also much rather have a physical confrontation rather than an online one. I'd love to beat the crap out of anybody who tries to scam me.

13. ethical macrumors 68000

I'm guessing you know something I don't that gives you the confidence to fight a guy with a knife. Fair enough. ;)

14. iOrlando macrumors 68000

this guy will take on firearms, num chucks, death stars, and cherry bombs.

Attached Files: