Scamster on the Bay

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mac jones, Feb 20, 2009.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

lol ok just report it

hes hardly the only one...

2. mac jones thread starter macrumors 68040

3. MAGICMOXTER macrumors regular

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Did you read the "hijacked an account" part?

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

6. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Dude you must be stupid to buy from this listing.

7. MAGICMOXTER macrumors regular

haha i had no idea Ebay accounts could get hijacked but thanks for the info :) but surely with all the paypal restrictions the hijacker couldn't take any money anyway?
    Ebay just goes from worse to worse, its like a giant junk sale now. Except a junk sale where you can get scammed :(

8. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Paypal is as big a joke just last week they had my account in the negative hundreds because some scumbag buyer tried to extort some cash back from me on an auction he had won and left positive feedback on weeks earlier. The only thing that saved my a$$ was closing the bank account that the money would have come out of and canceling the credit card associated with then telling Paypal exactly what I had done and why they were never going to get a cent from me then they changed their tune right quick. Just how the hell can anyone open a claim after they have left positive feedback anyways??

9. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

i recently sold a laptop on ebay and the buyer had great feedback but im already experiencing problems with the transaction. people complain about ebay scammers but paypal can screw a seller so bad. they will yank money out of your account like a month later.

I wanted to sell my black macbook but its just too much hassle. i went to sell 5 things on ebay a couple weeks ago and 3 of them was scammers 1 transaction is still "iffy" and 1 i ended early. if your trying to sell hi profile items like laptops or games / game systems forget it. 9 out of 10 bids are scammers. i wont ever use ebay again for anything over 50 dollars. its just to infested now.

id rather watch my black macbook rot in a corner unused then have some scammer steal it.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

11. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Wow. I knew the scammers were infesting a lot of the guitar auctions, I just never paid attention to the computer auctions I guess.
    +1 on not using Evilbay or paypal again!
    I'll either go to CL for a local transaction or find a marketplace like here on MR for computer stuff and a well known site for the guitars I want.
    Morod

12. mac jones thread starter macrumors 68040

Wait a minute.

You're saying that the abuse has 'reversed' and now the buyers are using the new Ebay/Paypal rules to screw the sellers?

I have a bunch of big ticket items I was just about to launch on Ebay but now I"m worried.

All you have to do is look around some of these hardware threads and you will see reckless kids buying questionable laptops ( fairly obvious scams) without any worry as they say: "Who cares if it's a scam!, Paypal will just reimburse me"

Of course this logic is inherently flawed as someone ends up paying.

Now I see who

Ebay will have to adjust this new policy if they want to stay in business.

13. arnette macrumors 6502

arnette

eBay is a waste of time. Don't bother.

Also, avoid NYC-based camera shops for online purchases.

It's YOUR money... be safe!

14. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

While there are indeed scam shops in NYC, it is also the home to some of the largest and most trustworthy shops as well so it sure seems as if that is a pretty broad brush. I think you would find it a difficult to find someone who is seriously interested in photography that doesn't speak quite highly of B&H Photo-Video for example.

The bottom line is that there are plenty of scam businesses in every major city, and anybody considering buying from an unknown retail business should make www.resellerratings.com the first stop in research as the ratings are based directly on user's experiences/reviews. And people who have had bad experiences are more than willing to share those experiences! ;) BTW- B&H has a lifetime rating of 9.5 out of 10 with almost 6500 ratings.