Scan and print software

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jimmer-uk, Oct 29, 2012.

1. jimmer-uk macrumors regular

Heya all,

I have a brother 6490 all in one and the control center software it comes with is awful to use.

Are there any alternate pieces of software that can replace brothers own?

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

VueScan is a great scanner program.

/Jim

3. Kyffin macrumors 6502

+1 for VueScan; after trying the manufacturer's bundled software and Silverfast, Vuescan was clearly the best in terms usability and function (I scan negatives, digitise notes/newspaper articles/&c., and photos for restoration and with Vuescan its quick to change your setup- and there's as much depth of function as you'd be likely to ever want)- also its impressive in terms of updates, you shouldn't get caught out on new scanners and operating systems. So yeah, bit of a glowing report but it really is worth a look.
    cheers!

4. flynz4, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012

flynz4 macrumors 68040

I agree. My comment was very terse earlier because I was in a rush. I bought a very nice Nikon CoolScan 5000 ED... which Nikon has EOL'd. VueScan was better than the Nikon software... even when it was supported.

BTW - (off topic): I bought the 5000 ED for about $1500 including accessories. Now that it is end of life... it's value (used) has risen to $2500 (or as high $5000). Who would ever guessed any electronics would go up in price? ;)

5. Kyffin macrumors 6502

Very nice scanner! I know what you mean with those CoolScan's and their value- its amazing that there's not really an equivalent product around anymore (and the FlexTight's being so high a level up, understandably they've become very sought after- I'd love one, but really the V700 is at the sweet spot of imaging to practicality for my use. Nevertheless it sounds an excellent investment- from what I've heard they were built to last, doubtless the problem will eventually come with the USB connection- btw read of a parallel-port workaround for a really EOL'd scanner the other day!)

Sorry, back on topic I believe that VueSan was the only scanning software in the game for a good while after Lion came out- that in itself is something that might merit consideration in your choice, cheers!