Scan LAN for all connected computers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by redeye be, Apr 23, 2009.

1. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Hello all,

I'm looking for a way (preferably a widget) to list all computers on the LAN (Mac and PC).
    What I would like to get is a list with both the IP address and the name of all connected computers.

Sounds simple but google didn't find it for me yet. Probably didn't feed it the right question yet. Maybe one of you knows or uses such a utility/widget?

Cheers

Update: Now checking nmap (which apparently used to have a widget frontend named sunemo)

2. redeye be thread starter macrumors 65816

redeye be

and printers and ...

No takers yet...

I've dropped the idea of finding a widget.
    Couldn't find one.

nmap looks nice as a tool but we are actually looking for a GUI.
    Commercial apps are an option.

We need the app to output a live (or as live as possible) list of all the stuff that is connected to our network (PC, Mac, printer, ...(?)) and print us the IP and the name.

Any ideas on where to find such an app, or better yet, a recommendation maybe?

Cheers

3. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

4. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

5. redeye be thread starter macrumors 65816

redeye be

Grr, VBulletin ate my post due to no longer being logged in when pushing "post".
    Here we go again.

Thanks for the feedback!

I had found the nmap GUI before. It's a bit daunting though. And to be honest, I still haven't found the command which returns me the list I'd need, including host names etc.
    Also, the goal is to install the app on the computers of two people who are even less computer savvy. Therefore a simple 1 click app or widget would be great. I haven't dropped nmap just yet, other options are more tempting though.

Like WakeOnLan.
    Almost exactly what I was looking for. Simple interface, host name resolution, and only minor issues/remarks... great!

I was also looking in to IP Scanner and Angry IP Scanner before finding WakeOnLan here.
    IP Scanner (feature-limited shareware) would probably be my app of choice, if only it resolved NetBios names. It does the best job (of the few apps I tested) of identifying printers though.
    Angry IP Scanner (open source freeware) is just the opposite. NetBios names get resolved, the Mac's stay incognito (could probably be resolved by adding a DNS record for each machine).
    Both in WakeOnLan and IP Scanner you have the option of setting a custom name as the host name of the machine, which could be an option for the few machines that don't resolve in either of these apps (I will of course first try to find out why they don't resolve...)
    If the custom name list is the only solution, I'd also have to look in to a way of sharing this list (no use in (tediously) entering the info more than once).

Still some work ahead.
    Thanks for the feedback so far, I'll keep this post updated with my findings.

Any and all hints, tips, tricks, recommendations and nmap commands still welcome :)

Cheers