Scandinavian MBP keyboard - FAIL

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Azathoth, May 13, 2010.

1. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

I just got my first MBP , 15inch AG, on Tuesday. Nice enough machine, getting used to the idiosyncrasies of OS X (like the useless Finder), but fair enough. There is one complete mess up on Apple´s part though:

There are no | [ ] { } \ symbols on the keyboard. I have to use Google to find out how to type on a keyboard that's frigging in front of me!!!

Ok, there's no PgDn and Home keys either, which is annoying (was the shortcut Fn + Arrow, Ctrl + Arrow, alt + Arrow or cmd + Arrow ?!? - I though Macs were supposed to be easy to use)

I really wish Apple would fix this - until then I guess I@ll have Letraset it...

PS and the @ and ' are swapped compared to most laptops

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That's because the Scandinavian layout is different than what you're used to, apparently.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are no Page Dn or Home keys on the standard US keyboard, either. You have to give yourself time to learn how Mac hardware and software work. It's not the same as Windows. Relax and let yourself learn new ways to do things. In most cases, you'll find the new ways better; in some cases, you won't. I'm not familiar with the differences in the Scandanavian keyboard, but perhaps this will be of some help:

Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts
    Customize Your Keyboard Shortcuts

4. Sace macrumors member

It's because it's a mac. The scandinavian layout miss the same symbols as the US one.

I have to admit that it sometimes annoys me too. I use my MBP for embedded C, and miss these symbols. But when running bootcamt, the are placed on the same keys as on a PC laptop.

5. wee-man macrumors newbie

I don't have a mac myself, but when using my aunts MacBook it really annoyed me that there was no Home, End and Pg-up or down. But i quickly realized that mac is much better:
    Home: Three finger swipe up
    End: Three finger swipe down
    Pg-up and down: Two fingers for scrolling

I'm going to buy a MacBook Pro, and this really boosted my want for it!

6. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

| alt 7
    [ alt 8
    ] alt 9
    { shift alt 8
    } shift alt 9
    \ shift alt 7

That goes for every scandinavian keyboard, not only the MBP.
    If you program a lot switch to us keyboard settings.

7. shadygrove macrumors regular

How is the finder useless? I use it all the time to find stuff I am looking for. You can connect to servers and do lots of things in the find besides browser your files. Still, how is it any more useless than Explorer? They both have similar functionality and purpose.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

While Finder isn't useless, there are some notable limitations, when compared to Windows Explorer. Rather than derail this thread, a MRoogle search will reveal plenty of threads where these limitations have been discussed:

9. Azathoth thread starter macrumors 6502a

My Thinkpad (norge) has those labels on the keys - Apple should have included them. Period.

Do those swipes work when typing text or in the terminal? No.

My Norwegian Thinkpad has those keys labelled (but some are in different positions - like \ etc)

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You know, Azathoth, based on your posting history it seems you would have been better off with a cheap Windows laptop that you subsequently install Linux on. Out of curiosity, why did you buy a Mac?

11. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

Well maybe you should just return it then? That's what I do when I don't like a product. Instead of ranting about it, I go to the store and get my money back. It's win win. You get your money back, and we don't have to listen to your nonsense. :)

12. saunterer macrumors newbie

Oh chillout already. A computer savvy user as yourself will get used to not having those characters under your nose in no time.

13. Azathoth thread starter macrumors 6502a

Its a CTO, so I'm not sure if they'll take it back without a significant restocking fee - plus I there's little else to go over to - Linux is still not quite there yet, and Windows I have already - except that it´s not really 'company compatible'. Like this I can help my mother whom I bought a MB for. Im just surprised that every one else just glosses over these shortcomings.

14. Azathoth thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ive been through it a couple of times in different threads but no, I would not be happy with a cheap Windows laptop - that´s half of what gives Windows a bad name - the cheap crap that it´s installed on (well that and the the fact that it has a mountain of legacy stuff to support which makes it into a complete security mess for people that don´t know what they´re doing)

15. gorjan macrumors 6502

According to forbrukerkjøpsloven you have 14 days to return it free of any restocking fees.

16. trondah macrumors 6502

I think everybody new to Mac were annoyed when they couldn't find these keys, I know I was. However, the upsides of Mac's and their software more than weigh up for them, that is probably why nobody really cares.

17. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I can to a certain extent agree about apple labeling them.
    Then again, if you label everything a key can do, you'll have a really cluttered keyboard.
    Just take the S, ß(alt S), ∑ (shift alt S). I use all those regularly, but do I want them all to be written on the keyboard? No.

Learn to use the Keyboard menu, which has keyboard layout and the possibility to switch between input languages.

If you program a lot you might learn to use US layout, since it has much easier access to []{}/|\

Attached Files:

18. danistyping macrumors regular

So let me get this straight.

Linux isn't there yet.
    Windows laptops are crappy.
    Mac OS X has useless features and shortcomings.
    Macbooks have crappy keyboards.

It sounds to me like you will never be happy. Do yourself a favor - take a step back and look at what we're discussing. Be happy that you have the privilege of living with such luxuries. It sounds like you'd be better off without a computer.

And if you don't like it, return it as other posters have suggested.

19. dyn macrumors 68030

Why should the average user be bothered by extra labels? It only adds up to their confusion. Apple does this differently, they have the option to choose the keyboard layout. I can choose between Dutch, international English and USA. The first 2 are the same layout, the only difference is the Euro-symbol not being displayed on the international English layout. The USA layout is different, it uses the qwerty layout, a horizontal enter/return and the back tick/tilde key is next to the 1 key. If you have the option to order this layout than return your current model and order a new one with the same options and the USA layout.

By default you can only use those swipes for things like expose (in the system prefs you can only enable or disable the 3 and 4 finger swipes). If you want to set it to different keys or functions you need a tool like better touch tool. In that case you can set specific settings for the 3 and 4 finger swipes in applications like terminal or even set it globally. So the answer in this case is a yes and certainly not a no ;)