Scanned documents added?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by todfun, Jan 28, 2011.

1. todfun macrumors newbie

Have some reference documents that I want to scan and add to touch to view later. What format should I scan them with. I have a mac but not going to upgrade to leapord for a about a month so touch is sincing with pc for now. mac is the one hooked up to scanner. idea's?

2. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

I've used Genius Scan in the past (Plus version lets you upload to things like GoogleDocs easy, on sale at the moment apparently) and it's free.

Also JotNot looks interesting (also linking to the free-has-a-pay-version one)

3. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I would probably scan it to a PDF. iBooks is a free app, that reads PDF docs and is compatible with iphone, iTouch, and iPad.

4. todfun thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking that pdf would be the way to go but tiff, rtf and jpeg seem to be only choices and not seeing how to convert in iphoto

5. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Why would you need to convert in iPhoto?

6. todfun thread starter macrumors newbie

Idea's where else to scan it to. options are abby fine reader(tiff) -tried but don't see where the file goes. Iphoto,mail(jpeg),word(rtf),preview(tiff) quicktime(tiff) and text edit. Both text edit and word make it come out like another language.

7. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Maybe i'm missing something here.... Scan them to a PDF on the MAC and email them to the touch. Again, why would you need to convert anything?

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Right? Just open it in preview and print as a PDF, or just scan as a PDF (I can't believe this isn't possible)

9. todfun thread starter macrumors newbie

So I don't see an option for scanning to pdf or even a conversion except in word and text and when I scan to them it looks like another language. call me stupid, I certainly am feeling it (probably kiss-keep it simple. Can you tell me the steps you would take?

10. JamesMB, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011

JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I'm pretty new to Mac (less than a month):D, but I bet that you could scan it to an RTF, open it in preview, and convert/save it as PDF. Be simple enough to try, just create a rtf file on the mac and try it.
    Edit:
    I just did it right from the TextEdit.app on my Mac.

Edit 2: I missed Interstellas post above, so Preview does indeed work also.

11. todfun thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks James, I tried it again to preview and it worked. Still had the page up from scan before that was garbage. Scratchen the crain but glad it's working now. Also got the genius scan which works great but not as clear.

12. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I use Genius scan also...works great for transferring PDF's back to the puter.