Scanner and Printer

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by giganten, Jul 30, 2007.

1. giganten macrumors 6502a

Hi, I am looking for a good printer and scanner. I am student so dont have very much to spend but I want something good, that I can use for some years. The scanner will mostly be used to scan sketches and thing like that.
    I think an A4 scanner will be fine as most of my work I do now is on A4 or smaller.

2. giganten thread starter macrumors 6502a

Please, what do you recommend for scanner and printer. What brand, model?

3. oscuh macrumors 6502

I'd recommend most of the HP models. Even the $99 scanners will do a good job, allow for scanning negs as well as images/docs, etc. Their interface is also quite easy to use, especially compared to Microtek or Epson.

Same for HP inkjet printers. Low priced, but a good value overall.

4. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

Depends on what you need

If you ae doing photo restoration & need quality Epson has a few good scanners with High D-Max, & Transparency adapters for less than 300.00. IMO The quality of Epson is better than HP.
    Epson also has 3 or 4 inexpensive printers (Less than $100.00) that print very high quality, have individual ink cartridges, & also print on DVD & CD printable discs.

1.Look for a scanner with at least a 3.6 d-max (The maximum density the scanner can read) more density the better it will read shadows & highlights.
    You could take a photo, or artwork with you to Circut City or Frys & ask a sales guy to scan from a few scanners, and print a glossy sample from a few different printers, that way you have an informed, non biased decision.

5. oscuh macrumors 6502

At the higher end, I would move out beyond the realm of HPs, but based on what gigaten is saying regarding usage, HP is still the way I'd go. My guess is that $300 for a scanner is out of reach for most students on a tight budget.

6. ilogic macrumors regular

I use a Canon Pixma MP 600 best damn printer I've ever owned, under 200$ comes with fantastic prints and scanning quality. It may have problems printing over a Print Server... if you don't have a print server, it is a great printer that my wife and I use and are always proud of...

7. giganten thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the help guys.
    Is this scanner good, Canon CanoScan LiDE 600F?

8. oscuh macrumors 6502

Ack!

I've yet to have good luck with Canons ... please just get an HP or dare I say it, Epson.

9. giganten thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay. will look on some of the hp models, maybe ScanJet G3010 or the G4010?