Scanner driver files not recognized

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gixxerfool, Dec 11, 2008.

1. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

I have a Mac Mini Superdrive and a Microtek Scanmaker S400. So I went to Microtek's site and downloaded the drivers for the scanner. It was 8 4.8M files. They all downloaded as .dmgd files. I go to open them and its asking me what program to open them with. So I switched the extension to just .dmg Textedit opened it but it was just code I believe. Anyone have any suggestions on getting my scanner to work. Thanks in advance.
    GF

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You downloaded segmented disk image files--7 files of 4.88MB and 1 file of 2.31MB. Their extensions are .dmgd1 through .dmgd8. The segmented files are a convenience to dial-up users. If you still have the files, then you need to correct their filenames. Then double-click the first. This should cause it to join its other segments. If you think that this is too much trouble, then download the single .dmg file instead.

3. gixxerfool thread starter macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

Okay. This worked...sort of. I went ahead and renamed the extension to just .dmg, problem is I had to rename each file cause they all had the same name, the individual designation was in the extension originally not the name. I double clicked the first file and it popped up a message saying No mountable files. So I highlighted all of them and did the same with same results. I am going to try the .dmg instead.

4. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

If you are still stuck, I'd suggest taking a look at VueScan. It's a great scanning program with its own OCR built in, etc. Has built-in drivers for many many scanners, especially those that the manufacturer has stopped writing drivers for. I'm still using my UMAX firewire scanner even though UMAX doesn't have an intel driver for this scanner, LOL.

5. gixxerfool thread starter macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

Fantastic! Thank you so much for the heads up. I've bookmarked it just in case.

6. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

No problem, just pay it forward. :)