Scanner not working with iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MVWP, Jan 15, 2015.

1. MVWP macrumors newbie

I'm wondering if anyone can help. I cannot get my HP Deskjet 2542 to scan using my 2012 Imac. I was able to do a workaround a few months ago when I had to scan a lot of documents to buy our new house. But now, it's utterly impossible.

I've reinstalled drivers a few times and done all the "solutions" I could find, but it still won't scan. I finally upgraded from Mavericks (it wasn't working with Mavericks, so this was my last resort) to Yosemite today, in hopes it would work, but still, the same problem. What can I do? This printer/scanner is only about 6 months old, and goodness knows where the receipt even is.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. MVWP thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope. Not in image capture or Preview, or in Preferences>Printers & Scanners. It just searches for a bit, then says there's an error. I've tried both wifi and USB. Printing works fine.

4. MVWP thread starter macrumors newbie

It spends about 3-5+ minutes "searching" for the scanner each time, then says it's scanning an overview. Does that for another 5+ minutes, then eventually says "the overview scan failed to complete."

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You don't have another mac or computer you can hook the scanner up do you?

6. eduardrw macrumors 6502

Have you tried to connect the USB via a powered hub?
    Helped with my Epson Scanner.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

Just wondering ... have you tried VueScan with it?

8. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

We got a HP printer/scanner free with my wife's imac. Don't remember the exact model. Could never get it to work wirelessly but it works fine via USB to a windows machine. Never worked reliably with OS X. HP's drivers for OS X are pretty lame.

Makes me glad that I bought a ScanSnap for my routine scanning needs.