Scanner/Printer Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sendaii, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Sendaii macrumors member

So, I have this idea, but I'm not sure if it'll work or if it's even possible.

What I’m trying to do is this:
    All of our files and reports that I would normally print, I’m trying to instead, have these converted to PDF files and savable on our computer network. However, some issues have come to fruition. Our of the service we use, generates the report in a web application, and doesn’t give any print options, but instead, just prints to whatever default printer have. Which was fine, but now I’m trying to go paperless.

What I’m thinking instead is, is there a way for to set up a scanner or scanner/printer combo as default printer, without having it actually print. Then, we would have the scanning software open that would be populated by the report we just attempted to print or “send” to the scanner. From that scanner software, we’re able to save or export to PDF. My problem or concern is, would it be possible to set this up? Can a printer/scanner combo be used, but have the printer capabilities turned off? Do you know if printing it to a scanner would result in it showing up in the scanner software?

Any other ideas or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

2. gsahli, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

3. Sendaii thread starter macrumors member

Does this only work for applications on the OS? Or does it work as well, for reports printing from a web/ajax application?

One of the reports I need to print has a print option, and it would automatically print to the default printer, and it doesn't give any print preference options or anything. You would just click Print, and it'll automatically just print to what ever printer is set as default.