scanner problems connecting to Mac

Luis Ortega

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2007
I have a Mac Pro running OSX 10.11.6 and got a new Epson V370 scanner after my old Epson Perfection 2450 died but I am having a lot of problems keeping them connected.

I installed the latest driver and scan utility but the scanner will do a preview scan but hangs when doing a final scan. One time it completed the final scan but then froze. So far, it just keeps hanging and having to be unplugged to recover any control.

I can't even access the scanner through Preview or Photo shop like I could with my old scanner.

Can anyone please advise whether this scanner model is compatible or what I need to do to make it work?

Thanks.

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
I have a Mac Pro running OSX 10.11.6 and got a new Epson V370 scanner after my old Epson Perfection 2450 died but I am having a lot of problems keeping them connected.

I installed the latest driver and scan utility but the scanner will do a preview scan but hangs when doing a final scan. One time it completed the final scan but then froze. So far, it just keeps hanging and having to be unplugged to recover any control.

I can't even access the scanner through Preview or Photo shop like I could with my old scanner.

Can anyone please advise whether this scanner model is compatible or what I need to do to make it work?

Thanks.
You probably need to install the "Epson Scan Common Updater" also available on the scanner's driver download page. It's hidden under the "Utilities" section.

Luis Ortega

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2007
Thanks, the problems turns out to be a usb cable that is too long. The scanner works fine when I use a shorter cable and the long cable works fine with a printer but apparently the scanner is too much for it and the signals are having problems.

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
Thanks, the problems turns out to be a usb cable that is too long. The scanner works fine when I use a shorter cable and the long cable works fine with a printer but apparently the scanner is too much for it and the signals are having problems.
That Epson update fixes a problem where the scanner will hang up after doing multiple scans, so if you see that behavior with the shorter cable, you still may want that installed.

komatsu

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2010
That Epson update fixes a problem where the scanner will hang up after doing multiple scans, so if you see that behavior with the shorter cable, you still may want that installed.
Is this Epson software like a universal driver for Epson scanners?

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
Is this Epson software like a universal driver for Epson scanners?
It’s not clear what it does exactly, but it shows up on the download page for pretty much every Epson scanner. It does not work as a scanning app on its own.

Reactions: komatsu