Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
One of my projects next year will be to scan the hundreds of slides I have from years ago. Can anyone recommend a scanner that does a good job with slides? Thanks!!

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Don't get anything Canon.

(My review of the Canon Lide 600F:

I find this noisier and slower than my old scanner (a four year old cheap Epson Perfection 610). It wants to calibrate itself regularly which is slow and especially fiddly when trying to get negatives into the clumsy film adapter. It won't work connected to my powered USB2 hub which is very irritating as I have to unplug my printer to use the scanner now (didn't with Epson).

Initially it seemed to work with Image Capture but then I realised that half the features weren't available, such as 16 bit colour and film scanning. Needless to say the supplied software is unlike any software on your Mac (unless you still use OS 8.6). It is slow, unintuitive and astonishingly ugly. (Some of it is not universal for Intel so expect extra slow downs if your computer is less than two years old). I got fed up trying to tweak settings before seeing any quality scanning. Negatives were especially poor to look at. While writing this first time the software finished a scan and simultaneously my Macbook Pro kernal panicked. (Given the rarity of these total system crashes, I'm assuming the scanner played a part).

Outstandingly poor. Beware, Leopard users - there must be better options.)

Sorry I can't suggest an alternative.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
i recently bought a nikon coolscan 5000 ED and it's amazing. the cost is also around $2000 with the feeder (I run a business so the cost is justified).

I have an epson 700 which can do slides and the difference is just amazing. the 700 is terrible in comparison. it's a night and day difference.

my point: unless you buy a dedicated slide scanner, i recommend using a scanning service. I'm not touting my business b/c unless you live near me, i would recommend finding someone local. I don't like my clients sending their memories in the mail. if they're lost, it's not like a mac which can be repurchased.

scancafe.com is a great online store. they use nikon scanners and their prices are great. if that doesn't work, find a local photo processing store.
cost should easily be under $1 per slide at the highest quality.

my point is that the cost of buying a new scanner, learning the software (if you need to learn), and taking the time to scan, might all be cost worthy to have a place do it for you. they know what they are doing and the quality if great.

good luck,
keebler

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
I've read some recent reviews on Amazon and two that people seem happy with are the Epson V500 and the Canon 8800F. $1- per scan seems very expensive when you own hundreds or thousands of slides to have done.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
I have Epson 4490, I like it quite a bit and I prefer Epson's software interface over Canon.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Don't get anything Canon.
I have a Canon CanoScan 8600F scanner. I could not be happier.

... Needless to say the supplied software is unlike any software on your Mac (unless you still use OS 8.6). It is slow, unintuitive and astonishingly ugly. ...
I have a workaround for the sucky TWAIN plug-in user interface for third-party apps. I don't use them. It must have taken 10--maybe 15--seconds to figure that one out. I am happy as a clam to use Image Capture.

It is the height of silliness to boycott great hardware because of some issues with unnecessary software. Life is too short.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I've read some recent reviews on Amazon and two that people seem happy with are the Epson V500 and the Canon 8800F. $1- per scan seems very expensive when you own hundreds or thousands of slides to have done.

it can be expensive. no doubt about it. it's a matter of whether or not you want quality vs cost.

i guarantee any regular flatbed scanner CAN NOT do the same job that the nikon's can do. guarantee. i've seen the difference with my own negatives. the difference was unreal.

another option is to buy the coolscan, scan your stuff, maybe scan some for friends/neighbours and family to help pay for it, then sell it. The resale value is quite high for these models. Or, look at renting one from a local store. that's another option.

hope you understand i'm just trying to provide suggestions based on quality. The last thing I want anyone to do is spend hard earned time and money and getting poor quality in return. I may have erased the first scans I did on my epson v700. If i didn't, i'll post a photo showing the difference between the 2.

cheers,
keebler

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
...I have a workaround for the sucky TWAIN plug-in user interface for third-party apps. I don't use them. It must have taken 10--maybe 15--seconds to figure that one out. I am happy as a clam to use Image Capture.

It is the height of silliness to boycott great hardware because of some issues with unnecessary software. Life is too short.

Image Capture does is great but it doesn't allow you to use all the features of the scanner. This is not good if you bought a scanner for these features.

Great software is what makes a Mac a joy to use so I disagree that I am being highly silly. Unrealistic maybe, because it would appear that other scanner manufacturers are just as bad when it comes to the necessary software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.