Scanner recommendation

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by glennk, Mar 29, 2009.

1. glennk macrumors newbie

Planning to digitize old family photos for the family and need a good/reliable scanner that. Any recommendations? Software included worth while or are there better packages? Currently have Adobe Photoshop Elements.

Thx!
    Glenn

2. iBaldy macrumors newbie

I'm also looking for a scanner,the Epson 4490 has caught my eye so far

3. johnnj macrumors 6502a

I've had a 4990 (similar to 4490) for several years and it's great for the price.

There are some in depth reviews out there if you do a quick search.

John

4. FilipH macrumors regular

5. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

6. skybolt macrumors 6502a

I used a Canon LiDE 60 to scan all my old family photos, and it worked perfectly. Their software allows for "multi-scan" so that I can put several photos down on the platen at once and they will scan to separate files. Extremely helpful! One caveat that I have seen -- people have posted to several forums that they are having trouble with B&W scans -- not showing up in the software, etc. I scanned all mine as though they were color, and did not have a problem. Either that is the answer, or I was just lucky!

One suggestion that I would make is to do a little legwork before you start your process. That is, separate your photos into the sort of organization you are looking for (in my case, my mother's family, my father's family, where we lived after I came along, each of my sons, etc.) -- whatever makes sense to you. Organization before you start will make the final organization much easier. I scanned them batch by batch, then cleaned them up, keyworded them, named them, adjusted the date, etc. Very effective.

Great project! Have fun! And consider making DVD's of them with iDVD jto give to family members. I did, and the family was delighted!

7. glennk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the great recommendation. I've not worked with iDVD, as of yet... I'm thinking of getting the 8800F CanoScan.

8. glennk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the great recommendation. I've not worked with iDVD, as of yet... I'm thinking of getting the 8800F CanoScan.