scanner recommendations

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by horness, Sep 27, 2013.

1. horness macrumors newbie

any suggestions on what scanner to buy for use with family tree maker software and Macbook Pro

2. Jaben3421 macrumors regular

3. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I've only ever bought HP all-in-ones. The photosmart 5520 is a pretty nice option right now. E-printing and printing from mobile devices. Flatbed scanners are better than feeders, IMHO.

4. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I've used the HP G4050 flatbed scanner for about 4 years. Best Buy sells them.
    It's a great scanner and I've used it to scan family slides and photos. The mac software that comes with it is much better and easier to use than the windows software that I used to use with it before I got a mac.

Scanners don't change much over the years. Not on the same tech track as cell phones and laptops.

Any scanner from a well know company (HP, Canon, Epson) should serve you more than well.

The G4050 that I use cost me $195 and you'll see it advertised for any ware from $175 to $250... so shop around.

When you do get your scanner pick one photo and one slide and play with the settings to see what resolution and other settings work best for you. It will take a few tries to get the results the way you want. A good scanner can also restore faded color photos, remove scratches, etc. Some of the results are amazing.

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

If you have a lot to scan, flatbed scanners suck for production work. I bought the ScanSnap S1500M based on comments here and have been very pleased with it. I had previously used an HP All in one and it was ok for an occasional single page but horrible for multiple pages.

I still use the HP for scanning stuff out of a book or something that won't fit into the ScanSnap. Otherwise I use the ScanSnap. I would estimate that I've scanned over 10k pages with it in just over a year.