Scanner trouble

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bassist1987, Oct 26, 2009.

1. bassist1987 macrumors newbie

Hi there. I'm running Mac OSX Snow Leopard. I have the unit plugged via USB into my Airport Express; I can print/copy fine but this item does not scan at all.

Firstly, when I select "Scan to PC" on the unit, it says "Local PC" or "Network PC"...I've tried both, neither work.

I've installed all the drivers and updates but I still can't scan. I've opened Image Capture as well as the "mac compatible" driver from the samsung website but I still can't scan.

Help!

Thanks!

2. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

system preferences > print and fax > locate scanner

I forget exactly what comes up, but then choose something around the lines of "open scan utility"

3. bassist1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

open scan utility is unbolded (unclickable)

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Scanning function for printers connected via USB does not work on any AirPort Base Stations, be it Express, Extreme or Time Capsule. The print server on these units is strictly a print server and not a multifunction print server. You'll have to either buy a wireless multifunction print server (printer connects via USB and print server connects via WiFi to your network), or you'll have to get a new WiFi enabled printer (probably sitting at the same price point for both). Edimax makes great MFP print servers.

5. bassist1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't you think that's a bit ridiculous?! I asked at the store if it's mac compatible and they said yes. So now, you're telling me I can't scan??? What if I connected the unit directly into my computer instead of into the Airport?

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

I didn't say you can't scan at all. I just said you can't scan if you connect it to your Base Station's USB port. Connected directly to a Mac's USB port, your printer will function properly. As it is connected right now, it's relying on the Base Station to serve out it's print functions. Until Apple implements multifunction print servers in their (at least higher end) Base Stations, you can't scan from a printer connected to their USB port. Is your printer at all network capable? Is it able to connect via WiFi?

7. bassist1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm well, I'm running about 4 different laptops in my house off the Apple Airport Express, so no computer is ever plugged into the printer.

This is the unit I purcashed...
    http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/...nochromemultifunction&model_cd=SCX-4826FN/XAA

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

According to the product specs page, that model is not WiFi capable, but it does have Ethernet networking. If only you had an AirPort Extreme or other router with Ethernet ports, you would have been able to have it join your network and share it wirelessly.

If you buy a second Express, you could have it act as a wireless bridge and connect your printer to the second AEX using Ethernet.

Or you could try to swap your Express for an Extreme.

Another option would be to connect it to one of your computers, make sure that computer stays on at all times and share it through that computer.

And as suggested before, you could get a wireless multifunction USB print server.

9. bassist1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. skorpien macrumors 68020

Most definitely. I can't comment on the quality of that printer as I've never used it, but in my experience Brother is a good brand. And they support Mac so it will work with OS X