Scanner

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cuckoo, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

Hi All,

my father is looking for a scanner. And he asked me... No mulitfunctional, just the scanner part (he already has all the other multi-things, except the scanner, and he prefers to have just 1 device per function).

So i've looked around, but i'm quite a n00b regarding scanners, so i've come to the HP scanjet 5590, which seems to do what he wants (scan some paper, some photo's and whatnot, no slides or anything special).

He has only a few requests.. first and foremost, it must always work and be easy to work with... the less settings it has, the better.

So, my questions are
    1. anybody experience with the HP scanjet 5590? and how does it compare
    2. anybody any other scanner (not mulitfunctional) the really like?

cheers

2. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

3. Cuckoo thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Careful with those CNET reviews... they, ummm, uhh, what's the word... oh yeah, $uck. If you want an example- look at their review on the Canon 5D, or where the Zune gets an 8.3 (same as the 5th generation iPod).

If you're looking for a decent scanner, you have to know what you will most likely be scanning, how much of it, and what those images (or files) will be used for. If you're looking for a general scanner that will do anything, including documents, some photos, and even slides or negatives (that you won't be looking to archive) then a sub- $100 scanner by either Epson or Canon will suffice.

If your father is looking for a more photo-centric scanner, then Epson is the way to scan- there are a number of different options, from the V350 photo, all the way to the $700 + V750 (essentially a pro machine). I'm not too familiar with the batch scanners (used when making a TON of document scans), but from what I've read HP are a little better than the rest in that regard. Basically figure out what you need to use the scanner for, and if it's nothing in particular, then go with something like the Epson V200, or the Canoscan LiDE 90.

5. Cuckoo thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the pointers. He just wants to scan a casual letter, and sometimes a photo to use on a beamer (for presentation purposes) so nothing fancy, and since he's not too technology savvy the easier the better