SCANNERS flatbed AND ADF

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Lupe, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Lupe macrumors newbie

Looking for some advice on a Mac compatible scanner for a small office. I've done a bit of research and found a nice one; the Fujitsu fi-6230 Desktop Scanner, both flatbed and ADF for $1,342. Was about to purchase it, but then realized it's NOT Mac compatible!

Very frustrating. This is exactly what I need, both features, duplex scanning, legal size ADF, fairly large flatbed for book scanning, at least 50 sheet ADF, color, fast, good reviews....

I've researched HP and the higher end scanners are not Mac compatible. I'm thinking of the HP 8270, but would rather have one that does duplex scanning and doesn't require a second pass through for double sided document scanning.

HELP!! Thanks.

2. MisterMe, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010

MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Why are you fixating on a scanner that is not Mac-compatible when Fujitsu has other models of duplex scanners that are Mac-compatible?

3. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

Fujitsu Scanners

I have the 6130 (the version without a flatbed) which I use on the Mac with fScanX (version 1.6.1). I love this scanner and it has been so much more reliable that the HP 8350 I had previously as well as having a very small footprint. I have a small Epson flatbed which does that, much more limited amount of work. The Fujitsu scanner was recommended as being reliable as well as fast.

fScanX is described here http://www.elevated-dev.com/Products/fScanX/

HTH

4. flynz4, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010

flynz4 macrumors 68040

I use a sheetfed (only) Fujitsu scanner for my Mac. It is the ScanSnap 1500S and it is extremely nice. It is pretty fast, full duplex scanner that can automatically remove blank pages when it makes dual sided copies. I typically use it to scan into a folder... but there are other modes too such as scanning into an application. It retails for about $500, but I've seen it closer to $400 at times.

For a flatbed, I have a Xerox MFD color laser printer with the scanning unit on top. I use that scanner infrequently... except for use as a copy machine or fax machine. I just find that flatbed scanners are not that important for my day to day needs... but occasionally they are the only solution.

You can also check out scanview software from http://www.hamrick.com/ which supports a large variety of scanners. This is quite a piece of work. I use it to support my Nikon CoolScan 5000 ED for scanning negatives and slides. Read the articles referenced on his website and you will likely be amazed.

/Jim

5. Lupe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help. I've read good things about the ScanSnap. I'm thinking to get what i need, I"ll have to get something like this and a separate flatbed. I was hoping to find something with both because my small office barely has enough room for one component.

Also, I need a flatbed that can accommodate various book sizes.

And "Mister"...I am 'fixated' on that particular model, I was merely pointing it out as an example of what I was looking for.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You should point-out examples of scanners that are compatible with your computer.

7. flynz4 macrumors 68040

What are you going to use for a printer? I have a color laser printer from Xerox... and I bought the MFD version. Hence, it doesn't really take up any extra desk space because the flatbed is above the printer. It used to be my primary scanner... but ever since I bought the Scansnap... I almost never use the flatbed anymore.

/Jim