Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
hey guys. im doing graphic design at uni and i need to get a scanner which can transfer my sketchbook work onto photoshop. so basically i need to know which scanner is the best for a budget of £200? any suggestions on resolution which will give me identical copies of graphics?

thanks very much. replies greatfully accepted!! huw

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Epson have an excellent reputation for producing good domestic/semi-pro scanners.

We like our 4870 Photo Perfection... more like £290 but as you're in the UK try http://www.dabs.com for lower spec models -- most of them come with Photoshop Elements which is a bonus if you can't afford Photoshop.

Naturally, they come with the necessary TWAIN plug-ins for Photoshop...

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I have an older Canon personally (mainly because, since I rarely scan, the thin design was as important as great image quality), but I was just reading through some reviews, and as usual it looks like Epson is the leader of the pack when it comes to quality. Canon has a MUCH better driver for their scanners, but if quality is most important, I'd probably get an Epson.

The Epson Perfection 2480 seems to be a decent scanner on the cheap (does transparencies, too), or you can go up to the 3170 if you want to spend about twice as much for higher resolution and increased bit depth.

If you prefer a better software package, I don't think you'd really go wrong with a Canon, either. Be warned that the little thin ones (Lide 80 and co) use a different technology and don't produce the quality scans of their fatter models, but they're not terrible and they get their power from the USB port, which is pretty convienent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.