Scanning 35mm negatives.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aansa, Jul 25, 2007.

1. aansa macrumors newbie

I wanted to scan my 35mm negatives so that I could save a digital version of them. I have about 15-20 rolls of film that cover weddings, birthdays etc. Was wondering what experience others have with hardware. I will need to buy a scanner but am not sure what to get. Do not want to spend too much as well.

2. netherfred macrumors member

Minolta Scan Dual III or IV

Try getting a secondhand Minolta Scan Dual III or IV, those are dedicated
    film scanners. Here in The Netherlands they go for €150-200. Alternatively you can buy a "modern" flatbed in the same price range. I found that my dad's Epson Photo flatbed (forgot which model) didn't produce quite the same results, especially in the darker area's. Also try and take a look at www.kenrockwell.com, he has some recommendations.
    Because you don't have a huge batch to scan, about 20x36=720 images, I'm not sure if it's worthwhile to get a modern dedicated film scanner with ICE (dust removal), which cost €500+. Then again, I've seen some flatbeds with ICE for under €200 (Epson 4490 Photo). I personally like Epson flatbeds. Canon is ok I guess but HP software sucks big time, so stay away from those.
    If you find a Scan Dual III, make sure you download the newest drivers, because otherwise it won't work on 10.4!
    Good luck!

3. Igantius macrumors 65816

This is probably stating the obvious and something you've already considered, but have you thought about paying someone to do this for you?

That is assuming that you won't be creating more negatives you want to scan.

netherfred gave some excellent advice - personally, I would strongly recommend using a dedicated film scanner.

4. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

As a professional I can say thay flatbed is a big NO. I have also tested to scan negatives on my Nikon coolscan 5000 and the result is not as good as the scans my Fuji Frontier makes. It all depends on how much you want to spend and what quality you want. Best quality but pricy will be Fuji scans. Also you will have to find a good lab with skilled people so your scans look perfect. If you think of yourself you are skilled enough to do it yourself find a good negative scanner, do your job and list the scanner on ebay when you're done. Nikon scanners get good prices when they are in good condition. If quality is not important buy a cheap flatbed.

5. rediffusion macrumors regular

rediffusion

Are there any companies that will scan negatives? I don't want to buy another scanner but would be happy to pay someone to do it for me [but not too much $$$]

R