Scanning color charts in pamphlets sheet fed scanner vs flatbed

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sossity, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I have been given some pamphlets from paint makers like winsor & newton oil paints, & water colors.

the are slick fold out brochures with images of their paint colors, the charts are not actual paint samples but reprints.

I have 2 scanners; a flatbed, & a sheetfed scanner. I know the flatbed would be better, but I have quite a few of these to scan, and the sheet fed scanner can do 2 sides at once, & would save me time from flipping over the brochures in the flatbed to get both sides scanned.

Since the color charts are not actual samples but reproductions on slick brochures, would it make a big difference if I scanned with the sheetfed scanner vs the flatbed?

2. ReneR macrumors 6502

Which sheeted and flatbed scanner? The color reproduction varies greatly from brand to brand and model. But in general sheetfed scanner do hot have a accurate color production at all, so if you want more accurate color reproduction the flatbed will probably do better.

ExactScan gives the users more controls about the colors than usual. Maybe it is worth a try before you scan a lot of these, ...

3. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Skip for a moment which type of scanner and consider investigating doing scanner calibration for colour. After you calibrate both, try your brochure samples. The end result should tell you which gives you a better/accurate output.

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

With no disrespect intended... wouldn't it have been easier to scan a sample of each, and compared them, before posting? And then taken phredd's advice about calibrating? Since we don't know the scanners or the final use for the scans only you can judge whether either of them are close enough for your usage. Perhaps if the sheet-fed unit, even if it does not work as well, is still close enough.

Are these scan going to be reprinted or merely referred to on a screen? If it's screen only is your monitor calibrated? Check your reference scans on a few monitors made by different companies and you'll see why that is important. If you are reprinting is your printer/monitor/scanner loop calibrated for a consistent colour? If not... well, you are about to find out why professionals can charge the big bucks.....

5. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

We are on the same page so to speak.

A good scanner calibration would include making sure that out put is calibrated as well (monitor/printer etc.).

As indicated, the purpose of the scan was not offered up so just have to go with the basics before any (serious scan) and get the equipment set up correctly.

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

Oops... sorry phredd - I meant to address the OP and was referencing your post as excellent advice. I was quoting your post as a way to say to I agreed with it.

7. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Fair trade of thought across our borders (grin).

Cheers