Scanning Comparable to RAW... (Film Not Digital!)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by acearchie, Apr 15, 2010.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I have lately delved into the world of film which has been really rewarding. I received a little diana F+ for my birthday last year and it has opened my eyes into the world of medium format film. My dad also used to be a photographer and I have paid to have his old Hasselblad 500EL from the 1960's serviced and repaired so I can get some really nice pics.

I now process my own black and white and colour negative film at home.

However, I was wondering what is the best way to import the negatives?

I have a canoscan 8800F which has a maximum optical resolution of 4800x9600dpi. I use VueScan to import as the default Canon application fails to work with Snow Leopard.

Is it best to import them as a negative or let VueScan do the conversion and import the normal picture?

What is the best format to retain all the quality would this also be the best format to edit and correct in Aperture? TIFF? What would you recommend as the optimal import resolution?

Also if you have any tips on shooting on film please share!

2. Edge100 macrumors 68000

Unfortunately, no flatbed scanner is going to do MF (or even 35mm) negatives justice. A dedicated slide scanner is pricey, but really the only way to get top notch results at home.

As for format, stick with TIFF or PSD; you get big files, but there are no compression issues.