Scanning large amounts of Pictures; How?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hdsalinas, Aug 24, 2007.

1. hdsalinas macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

Hi,

I am contemplating on scanning years an years of old paper pictures. I want to start with my college years (96-00),

Is there a scanner that would let me just feed images like a conveyor belt and convert them to jpegs on my mac?

What is the best way to do it?

2. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

This is something I am interested in also, hopefully there will be some good ideas on this thread.

3. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Hmmmmm, thats not something I've ever heard of. I think your best bet would be a larger (A3 or something) flat bed scanner. If not, get a decent quality A4, lock yourself in and put the kettle on. ;)

4. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

You're just going to have to do it the obvious way. We get a lot of clients at work who want to do this sort of thing with rooms full of documents. Some poor sap has to sit and do them all one at a time. There are companies that will do it for you, not sure about for your personal photos though.

5. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Here in the UK anyway, there are services where you can takein your old photos, they scan them and put them on a CD for you, not sure if you could do that. Pay a high-school student to do it on the cheap??
    Or, i do them 4 at a time. Fits nicely on my scanner

6. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Some scanners can detect multiple pictures. I believe my cannon scanner which I haven't used in years has something called "multiscan" where it figures out that you have 3 pics in the scanner at one time. It doesn't always work that great though, you still need to do some manual cropping, but at least it automatically saves them as separate files.

7. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

I have a few scanners that do this, but they have always had very unacceptable results. Then I would just end up doing it the old fashioned way.

8. iGav macrumors G3

You really want a document scanner.

Though you can do it with some laser copiers too.

Alternatively... take on a recent design graduate and call it work experience. ;)

9. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes