Scanning over Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ManhattanPrjct, Aug 31, 2011.

1. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

I'd like to be able to scan over my network - I just don't have enough real estate to have everything on my desk, but have plenty of room elsewhere.

I don't think I can plug them into my USB port on my Airport Extreme, since it apparently only supports a printer or an external HDD. Can anybody think of a creative solution to allow me to accomplish this, maybe by getting another router to plug into my AEBS, or...?

2. NogbadTheBad macrumors regular

NogbadTheBad

Maybe a Wi-Fi all in one printer that has a scanner built in that works over Wi-Fi might be cheaper, I have a Canon MP495, that was cheap as chips.

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

I second getting a network all-in-one. You may be able to find a way to make your current equipment work, but chances are you'll be spending just as much as, if not more than, what you would be with a new scanner.

4. ManhattanPrjct thread starter macrumors 6502

I am a photographer, so I need specific equipment (Epson v750 and a Plustek 7600 AI). All-in-ones won't cut it, and I don't need to print.

5. NogbadTheBad, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

NogbadTheBad macrumors regular

NogbadTheBad

Guess you need a really long USB cable then ;)

This might work :-

http://www.iogear.com/product/GUWIP204/

IOGEAR's Wireless 4-Port USB Sharing Station enables any USB external hard drive, USB flash drive, USB memory card reader, USB webcam, USB speaker, or USB multi-function printer (MFP) to be shared over a Wi-Fi network among different users. It offers the flexibility to place your USB devices anywhere in the home or office as long as there is Wi-Fi coverage. You are no longer constrained by the 16’ feet distance limitation from your USB devices to your computers.

6. ManhattanPrjct thread starter macrumors 6502

Just what I was afraid of!!! :(