scanning over an AEBS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Nusku08, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Nusku08 macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of getting a Canon Pixma MP610, I would be plugging it into a AEBS and I need to be able to use it for scanning.

is they any reason to think that scanning over a wireless connection will be problematic ?

I've no reason to think it will be a problem, but then again I assumed time machine would work fine on an AEBS...:(

2. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

My Canon MP830 doesn't.

If you read a lot of the reviews on MFPs at Apple's online store, it appears that none are capable of scanning over the network. Faxing either (must print, then fax manually).

If I want to Scan, I have to detach the printer from the WAP and connect it locally.

I think the USB feature is obviously geared more towards workgroup laser printers, etc. I think Apple should have left this off of their spec sheet. It's only going to confuse/dissapoint a lot of home users.

3. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

With my (now defunct) Epson multi, I could print only. Anything else had to be wired.

4. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

You would need to use a device like the Belkin network USB hub that lets USB devices appear to be physically connected to your workstation. One of the devices I use with mine is an older Epson flatbed scanner.

5. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

I second that - though don't recommend it for use with hard drives or anything else that requires real-time usage.