Scanning over Earthnet on a MAC.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cudo, Oct 15, 2009.

1. cudo macrumors regular

Hi ,

We just got a new mulit-scanning and printing device Lexmark X364dw which is conected to our switch with Ethernet and then further to 6 computers ( 4 Macs and 2 Windows) in our local network all of them detects our printing device and allows us to print but only Windows let us scan. I am a Mac user and never actually had to scan anything on my Mac until today. What do I do I cannot see any scanning manager on my system unlike Windows. I tried to download some generic scanning soft but it does not support our device.

Im running SL - any suggestions on how to scan?

Thanks

MC

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Image Capture is the scanning app that comes with OS X. Lexmark claims OS X is supported for that model. If Image Capture doesn't see it then maybe Lexmark has a driver or their own scanning app that you can install.

3. cudo thread starter macrumors regular

Having installed the package from Lexmark CD nathing has changed. NO SCANNER CONNECTED msg appears. It is really annoying that although this model is listed as compatible and supported for both printing and scanning it is ,in fact, not !

Any other suggestions ? Do you reckon it might be cos of its being conected over Ethernet and not directly to my mac ?

MC

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Likely.

When you are in Image Capture there is a Browse Devices window. There should be a Network Devices listing that you can select and then enter the IP of the device. I've never used this but that should be how it's done.

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

That is how it's supposed to work in Snow Leopard--I have a Canon MFC and it shows up automatically in the left pane of image capture when it's turned on (it also shows up in a new sub-section of the Printers pref pane, which I didn't expect). In the case of Canon's driver, there's also a "network scan wizard" or something like that, that adds an item to the menu bar; this works in addition to the built-in Apple software (and launches with a somewhat more full-featured, if less tidy, Canon scanner interface).

This is via wireless, but that shouldn't be any different from hardwired ethernet. Maybe Lexmark's driver isn't working correctly--you could try going to Lexmark's site and seeing if they have a Snow Leopard driver/utility available to download that's newer than what's on the CD.