Scanning over wifi?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by InfiniteLoopy, Feb 2, 2011.

1. InfiniteLoopy macrumors 6502

Hello,

I know you can print over wifi but are there all-in-one machines (home/laser) that allow you to scan over wifi as well?
    If so, how would you select which Mac the scan was being sent to?

Otherwise, could you plug a regular all-in-one into an Airport Extreme and achieve the same thing?

Thanks

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Yes, most AIO machines with WiFi will allow you to scan over the network. I have a Canon at home and an HP at work and I've used both of them to do so.

Preview is the easiest way to do it. Go to File->Import from Scanner->Include Networked Devices. Then wait a few seconds and the list will be populated with network scanners as well. Be warned, high-res scans can take a long time doing it without a cord.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The Canon MX860 (and MX870 at least) can do this fine.

The approach I use on mine is to leave an 8GB SD card in it, scan to the card and pick up the scan remotely via network share from the card, but you can also control it from Image Capture from the Mac and send it to the Mac using the drivers.

B

4. InfiniteLoopy thread starter macrumors 6502

OK thanks.

Could I achieve this with any standalone scanner or AIO plugged into an Airport or does the scanner require something specific?

Thanks,

5. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

I use an HP CM1312nfi for printing and scanning.

To scan something, I just put the page(s) in the feeder and open the HP Scan Application on my iMac and scan.

It does have the ability to send a scan to a PC or Mac but I have to be honest, I do not use it as the Printer is right next to me.

troutspinner

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

IIRC the Airports only support printing on their USB ports, so you need an AIO that can connect to the network via Ethernet or WiFi, not the USB port.

B

7. InfiniteLoopy thread starter macrumors 6502

OK thanks.
    So basically, I need to get an AIO with wifi.