Scanning pictures

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Johntomk, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Johntomk macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a high quality scanner to scan pictures to my computer. Are there any scanners specifically for photos? Any suggestions?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Is there any reason why you have to write in large bold font?

Epson photo scanners, a flat bed is affordable, not awesome like a drum scanner but serves other purposes and is acceptable quality.

3. Zerozal macrumors 6502

Are you scanning prints or negatives? If you are scanning prints, then any decent flatbed will do a good job. If you are scanning negs, then you will want a dedicated negative scanner. I'm sure you'll get several suggestions depending on your budget if you need a negative scanner.

4. Johntomk thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm wanting to scan prints. My budget is around $400 max.

5. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Most decent flatbed scanners will do a good job on prints today. You're better to get a dedicated scanner, rather than an all-in-one printer/scanner. Look at the Epsons, as mentioned.

Edit: Looks like I'm saying the same thing as others... but I walked away as I was writing my response, and didn't see the what zerozal had said... but obviously, I agree completely... :)

6. ncmason macrumors regular

ncmason

I would get the CanoScan 8800F.

I've been using the 8600F for over 2 years now. It's great with prints.

7. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Canons do a good job, and their software has a "multi-scan" option that lets you put several photos down on the glass and it will scan each one to its own file. Other scanners may also do this, but my experience is with Canon. A very nice feature that will speed up your scanning project greatly.

8. = bluntman = macrumors regular

9. Nordichund macrumors 6502

I also have the Epson V500 and I really am very satisfied with the results. It works very well on a .:apple: