Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phenixdragon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2009
Can anyone recommend software for scanning? I have some old photos I want to scan but want to make sure that when I scan them that I use some good software that can make it look the best.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Can anyone recommend software for scanning? I have some old photos I want to scan but want to make sure that when I scan them that I use some good software that can make it look the best.

Firstly maybe try Apple in built image capture. It might do what you want for zero cost!

However, if you want to pay for some alternatives have a look at SilverFast and VueScan.

Hope this helps!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
  • What model scanner?
  • Which version MacOS X?

As acearchie said, the bundled Image Capture application is your best bet. Of course, you need driver support for your scanner. If the manufacturer does not support MacOS X, the perhaps the open source TWAIN SANE project supports your scanner under MacOS X.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I have both SilverFast and Vuescan, and prefer the later to the first. Vuescan is quite easy to use, and allows for full control of the scans.

phenixdragon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions, I will take a look.

My scanner is part of my all in one printer. An HP C7280. And I am running OS 10.6.

Actually I am wondering too, is it possible to scan via wifi? I was able to do it once in Windows awhile ago, can't remember exactly how but it worked. I know it has BlueTooth but I would have to buy a dongle and Id rather just stick with wifi.

phenixdragon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2009
Actually I do see that I went into System Preferences and into Print/Fax there was a button for scanner. When going in there, and opening up the scanner, I was able to scan. But it looks like it doesn't allow me to change any settings for the scan, and the Image Capture software mention doesn't see the scanner. I am wondering if the other software mentioned will see the scanner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.