Scanning to an iPP

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NJFP, Apr 11, 2016.

1. NJFP macrumors 6502

Just got the iPad Pro, loving it. With my MacBook Pro, I can pull up my scanner/printer, and scan documents to my MBP, then I can attach and email them. How do I do this with my iPad Pro? I can print from the iPP, just need to figure out how to "see" my scanner from it.

2. jsavvy macrumors member

jsavvy

Not sure if you can get the iPP to do this. Try the app Genius Scan. Basically turns your iPad's camera into a scanner.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I do not think Apple would allow direct communications from your scanner. Your could email from your MBP and then print from your iPP.

4. Cascades42, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016

Cascades42 macrumors 6502

Assuming your printer is wifi enabled, look for the brand's iOS app. I know Canon, Epson and HP all have apps which have a scanning component.

5. NJFP thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll take a look, thanks!

6. StuartL macrumors member

I use the vuescan mobile app. Works very well.

7. NJFP thread starter macrumors 6502

Just got the HP app from the App Store. Works like a charm! Thanks all for the advice.

8. infantrytrophy, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016

infantrytrophy macrumors regular

For many types of documents, an IOS scanning app that uses the device's camera is faster and easier than using a flatbed or sheet scanner. My favorite scanning app is Scanbot - it works equally well on the iPhone and iPad. I used the free version for a long time, but liked it so much that I upgraded to the Pro version for a small amount, in the $2 to $5 range (one-time cost, not a subscription). It supports auto edge detection, auto-naming of files and automatic upload to cloud services - Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive and others. You don't really need to pay for the Pro version, but it adds useful features such as OCR and enhanced file auto-naming features.

9. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

I just started using scanner pro 7 and it works like a beast. Does a great job of flattening out the image and cropping the edges of whatever the bell you're scanning. Also has iCloud support so I can say...scan from my phone and it'll also show up on the iPad via the scanner pro app.

10. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

11. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Before your ace out to use a scanner, consider your needs and check out genius scan. If documents are what you're looking to scan it is excellent, enhancement, skew correction which auto senses, and the app is free with a small fee for more export options. For scanning up to a couple of pages at a time it's a very elegant solution, allowing multi page combinations etc.

Obviously if you're looking to scan a ton of stuff it may not be the answer, but with the camera on the pro and the iPhones, I use it to solve all my scanning needs (documents, not photos, and have for a long time.

Give it a shot before jumping through hoops, you may be surprised.

12. Old Skool Gamer Suspended

Old Skool Gamer

Check out Tiny Scanner+ on the App Store.

It's the best iPad "scanner" in my opinion.

Your scans should actually be of better quality when compared to scanning from a traditional scanner, as the camera on the iPad will undoubtedly be better.

Plus, it's always with you!

Can also install on your iPhone, too (no additional charge).

13. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I bought a fujitsu scan snap scanner recently. Got it cause it works on wifi but it has an ios app which I've used from my iphone. Very easy to use.