Scanning via Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 4DThinker, Mar 16, 2008.

1. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

On a whim I added a cheap bluetooth dongle to my Canon Pixmia MP600 and discovered my iMac could print to it via bluetooth.

The MP600 is a multifunction printer and also include scanning.

Has anyone been able to make ANY scanner work via bluetooth on a Mac, ever? I don't mind being the first if I have to, but would rather stand on the shoulders of those who bought macs before me. ;)

My goal? Also be able to use the scanner part of the MP600 over bluetooth from my iMac. USB is so yesterday!

Thanks for all your help!

4D

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Out of interest what was the Bluetooth dongle that you used? I have an MP460 that I would like to bluetooth as well.

3. 4DThinker thread starter macrumors 68020

Assuming your MP460 supports it (mine uses the Dongle in the front USB port normally used for printbridge), then I suspect any would work. The one I use is a D-Link DBT-120. I bought it cheap at a neighborhood garage sale. I've seen them for around $30 online.

4. 4DThinker thread starter macrumors 68020

Anyone? Scanning via Bluetooth?

I would speak wifi to the Printer/Scanner, but I can't get the imac to use Canon's latest OS-X driver(s) when using wifi, and the only gutenberg driver it finds is for an MP500, which doesn't quite work with my MP600. I'm using a Linksys wifi print server with all the windows PC in the house working fine. The iMac is the only one who doesn't play well.

4D