Scansnap 1500M Gifted - Keep or Return

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hise, Dec 25, 2011.

1. hise macrumors newbie

I just received a Scansnap 1500M as a gift. I had held off on purchasing for myself because of Lion incompatible version of Acrobat that had been previously included. This week there was an announcement that the 1500M now comes with Acrobat Pro 9 for Mac which is Lion compatible and makes the upgrade path for newer versions more affordable.

Unfortunately, the scanner I received was purchased before they started shipping out with Acrobat Pro v9. Is it worth the bother to return the scanner and re-order to get the newer version of Acrobat? I see that lots of people use alternatives such as Vuescan etc.

Thanks!

2. brentsg, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011

brentsg macrumors 68040

I also just purchased one and received version 8 as well.

I'm going to contact Fujitsu and see what happens. The unit itself is really awesome. I literally got mine the day that the Adobe upgrade was announced. I was actually completely unaware of the Acrobat 8 problem with Lion, so that sucks.

I'm actually not sure what I'm missing. I have no problems with basic functionality such as scanning to a PDF.

3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I have had the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500M for two years now (Christmas 2009) and it is fantastic. I just checked my version, and I have Acrobat 8.3.1 and I have not seen any problems with Lion compatibility. I rarely use Acrobat on its own... but rather use it as the engine to create PDFs with the ScanSnap.

If I recall correctly, V9 was already available when I bought my scanner... and now Adobe is up to Acrobat X. It seems that Fujitsu stays on version N-1.

If you have not used the S1500M before... I suspect that you will be pleasantly surprised. I use mine with DevonThink Pro Office which is also a great application.

/Jim

4. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

I also just got the ScanSnap as a gift but haven't gotten around to setting it up yet. Does anyone know when they started shipping them with the new software? I tried searching but couldn't find that info.

5. hise thread starter macrumors newbie

Announcement was on 12/23.
    http://scansnapcommunity.com/features/5843-scansnap-s1500-s1500m-scanners-now-include-acrobat-x-standard-for-windows-acrobat-9-pro-for-mac/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+scansnapcommunity+%28ScanSnap+Community%29

----------

Based on the feedback here I'm just going to keep it vs returning and reordering. Sounds like there are plenty of good options to Adobe's bloatware and I wouldn't be upgrading it anyway.

Thanks!