scansnap s1300

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by musthaveapples, Jun 1, 2010.

1. musthaveapples macrumors newbie

Hi all,

anyone got the new scansnap s1300 as I can't make up my mind what scanner to buy! Please can someone make the decision for me... its going to be either the new scansnap s1300 or the scansnap s1500m.

There is about a £200 difference and the s1300 is portable so I think that will make the final decision easier but the geek in me is saying the price difference means I'd be missing out! Any info on either will be gratefully received :)

2. glitch44 macrumors 65816

The benefit of the s1300 is that it's both PC and Mac compatible. Since it was just updated, there are rumors of the s1500 and s1500m being combined into a similar cross platform version soon. I just mention this so you don't spend the money on the s1500m only to have a new version come out right after.

3. noguilt macrumors newbie

Canon P-150M

you might want to consider the scanner i'm on the verge of buying, the Canon P-150M "Scan-tini."

It is comparably priced to the S1300, has both Mac and PC drivers built in, so no driver installation, and it is somewhat faster than the S1300.

The reviews of the PC only version, P-150, have been quite impressive, but i've not been able to find a real review of the P-150M.

4. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Fujitsu s1300

I am thinking about getting the Fujitsu s1300 for both document/receipt scanner as well as using it to scan family photos. I already own the Paperless software for organizing documents.

I have have probably 1000 or more family photos that I would like to scan and I wonder about the quality. I don't need awesome photoshop editing quality, but to just retain the current quality of photos (3x5 and 4x6) taken in the 70's,80's, and 90's. Not great! 300 DPI would be more than enough.

I don't want to outsource the project at this time, it's something I can teach my parents to do in their free time. It also gives them a hobby and a reason to organize shoeboxes of old photos, and document our family history.

Can scanned photos be tagged with metadata that will reside in the files rather than the OS/iPhoto/other tagging app? This will allow for all of the family members to easily search.

Anybody have any experience with this?

5. musthaveapples thread starter macrumors newbie

I just unpacked my S1300 and it is sweet! Very compact when closed so leaves a tiny footprint on the desk. It only runs about 8 documents at a time so your 1000's of photos might take a while. i'll scan some photos to have a go today and let you know the quality.

@ Spacepower7 - can I ask what paperless software you use? I'm looking at devonthink, but it looks like I'd need the most expensive version (devonthinkpro office) to access all the useful tools (OCR ect). Is it worth the money?

6. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

I use "Paperless" from Mariner Software, it's $50 from them or about $42 from Amazon.

http://www.marinersoftware.com/sitepage.php?page=152

I have mainly used it to organize receipts from online bill paying, printing from Safari as PDF files. I have also used it to organize all of my grad school case studies.

I have not used it extensively, but most online reviews say that it works flawlessly with fujitsu scansnap scanners. They even offer bundles with it.

Please let me know about your experiences with scanning photos, as I am considering getting one this week. I hope to use it to scan photos for a slide show for an upcoming wedding.

I have a flatbed epson scanner and a copy of Vuescan, but that would be a much more tedious and lengthy process.

Thanks

7. Jones105 macrumors newbie

English based s1300 software?

Hey guys,
    I'm an American living in Japan and recently purchased the s1300, but was saddened to find out that Fujitsu only offers "Japanese" software with the Japanese scanner. Exact same model and everything, but not sure why they do this. I ran into the same problem with a Sony video camera - same model number available in the states, but got mine home to realize the menus are only in Japanese.

Anyway, this time, I'm hoping I can find someone who might be a good samaritan here and send me the English version of the Snapscan software that came with their English s1300. I would VERY much appreciate it, as I otherwise have a worthless scanner sitting on my desk. (No, I haven't learned to read the Japanese alphabet, with its 10,000 characters!)

Thanks!!!

8. glitch44 macrumors 65816

I think you can get them directly from Fujitsu:

http://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/computing/peripheral/scanners/ssfaq/setup-pg.html

9. Jones105 macrumors newbie

I wish.

Although they say "compatible", this appears to be for legal reasons, as best I can tell. I requested an English download using my serial and part number and it was rejected.

As an English speaker living in Japan, it's quite frustrating.

10. glitch44 macrumors 65816

Sorry, I missed that. If I owned one, I'd get them to you, but I haven't purchased yet. I know the owner of this blog has connections at Fujitsu, maybe he can help you out:

http://www.documentsnap.com/

11. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Abby finereader

I'm guessing that it is with software licenses.

The ABBY Finereader will only do OCR on the fujitsu scans, no other PDF files. Not sure if this is a technical limitation or software license issue. Now I have to go back to the cow of the program Acrobat Pro many times.

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I'm also a gaigin living in Japan and I would always refrain from buying any Japanese hardware that I knew required software to run drivers, etc... its unfortunate that some cool Japanese gear won't run on the English driver versions of the same companies software:mad:

13. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Hate to be a weeaboo but it's gaijin.

Anyway if you have solely a mac or thats your primary environment then get the M model, just for ease sake. I have the s300m and it's tiny and great, but it can't handle long documents like those 1.5 ft receipts they seem to be printing out these days. I also wish I could specify params like when I want to scan both sides of a one page document to a different pdf for each page (make sense? :D) but instead I can either scan to 1 pdf per session or separate pdfs per page.

Software wise, I hate all the solutions out. Paperless, Yep, Devonthink, all garbage for one reason or another. Devonthink was in the front for me during my trials but I gave it up because of it's proprietary database (not ok).

For now it's just a date stamped document OCRed and indexed w/ spotlight. Works well enough. I haven't lost anything yet.

//plug
    I have a copy of Readiris Pro for Fujitsu Ver 11 up for grabs. I got it with my scansnap but I think it's useless since I have acrobat. I don't really like it but perhaps one of ya'll can use it. $15 + 5 for usps flatrate shipping via paypal.

14. glitch44 macrumors 65816

Eddyisgreat, the s1300 doesn't have an M Version. It's a dual PC/Mac solution and replaces the s300/s300m.

15. dkd2013 macrumors newbie

16. dkd2013 macrumors newbie

English software

Hi Jones,

Any luck finding an English version? I'm also in Japan and just ordered the snapscan assuming I'd be able to download or get a copy of the English software from the company. Looking at your post it looks like that isn't going to happen. If you ever got a copy or found a way to get a copy could you please contact me?

Thanks!

17. White/Rhino macrumors 6502a

White/Rhino

I have the 1500m for my home office and just ordered the s1300 for my office and for when I go on Vacation and still need to work. This is the only scanner I would buy. I've seen nothing else come even close in the functionality and ease of use as the Scan snap series. I get docs all the time from other people using their all in one devices and most of the time it looks like crap. My Scan snap reproduction looks like the original. The software bundle itself is worth a lot.

18. YumaMel macrumors newbie

snapscan s1300

Just purchased and have questions. Can only load adf with 10 pages. How do I scan a 50 page document into one PDF. Not very much info with scanner.

Need for scanning real estate documents into an online storage service.

Any help appreciated.:)

19. mbmobile macrumors member

I own a Canon P-150 and I absolutely agree.

The P-150M is shipped with the Mac drivers that can be downloaded from the Canon Website.

Is light, it scans both sides of the paper, is fast and the sheet feeder doesen't get stuck.

In EU I will go with Canon at least for the better support.

MB

20. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I have the Fujitsu S1500M and I could not be happier. I do not need a portable scanner... nor do I need PC support. This one sits on my desk permanently attached to my 27" iMac and is a real workhorse. I am using DevonThink Pro Office as my document organization software. It is expensive, but probably the best available. DevonThink has direct integration with the Fujitsu S1500M.

I also have a Xerox 6180 MFP color laser printer with an integrated flatbed scanner. Using the ScanSnap is infinitely better than using the flatbed. This scanner is almost never used except as a copy machine.

I also own a Nikon Coolscan 5000 ED which is incredible for scanning slides and negatives. I am in the middle of a multi-year project to convert all of our pictures to digital (over 10 thousand). This is a very slow and tedious process, but scanning negatives is MUCH better than scanning prints. The general problem with scanning negatives is that it is near impossible to get rid of dust marks if you have a cheap scanner. The Nikon Coolscan has a 4th color source (infrared) which completely eliminates any dust our fingerprints. I am absolutely amazed at the difference that it makes. Of course, it is expensive... by the time you add in accessories it is about $1500... and the used price is almost the same as new. One good thing... you can buy a CoolScan 5000, use it for a year or two, and then sell it for almost the same as your purchase price (especially if you buy it used to begin with). There are a lot of people who buy these... convert their pictures to digital, and then have no need for expensive scanner anymore. I actually believe that it is less expensive to buy/use/resell this scanner than it is to buy a cheap slide scanner which has no resale value... and gives crappy results.

/Jim