Scared about restoring

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theantony, Jan 26, 2011.

1. theantony macrumors newbie

Hi. A while ago itunes couldn't see my phone, it said my iphone can't be read you must restore. Paranoid about loosing everything I jailbroke it backed up my shsh with cydia and copied data to hd via ssh. I copied my contacts on a trial mobile me account and I also have a recent mobile sync folder on my desktop. I deleted my contacts stupidly by mistake when I deleted my mobile me account but I prosume there in the mobile sync folder.
    When I click alt restore in itunes to search for a back up in the mobile sync folder it can't see anything to back up. So. Do I restore my phone in itunes which will take me to 4.1 (I am on 3.1.3) and be able to restore my phone with the mobile sync folder to get my contacts back. Jailbreak and shsh my other data back.
    If anyone can help me with noob help on this. I have googled it like mad but still not sure on the best way to go......

I am on mac and pc

Cheers...

Any help....please...

2. Steven Jobson macrumors regular

If you some how get it to work, it's going to be a pain in the ass putting the files back into the iPhone with the correct permissions.

3. theantony thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers for your reply. All I'm mainly concerned about is getting my contacts back. As I metionend I have a mobile sync folder I backed up from my mobile me account which is full of .mdat files etc. Does that mean that when I restore my phone it will see that folder as a back up. As of know the only thing itunes see's is my phone but will only let me restore. Do you know of a method I could use.

4. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

If it was an Android phone, restoring it would be super fast and easy. I know. I have both, the perfect combination.

The Android works as both a phone and handheld computer.

The iPhone as a phone, Not So Much.

5. Zcott macrumors 68020

Once you restore to a stock firmware iTunes will ask you if you want to set up as a new phone or restore from your most recent backup. Choose the latter.

6. theantony thread starter macrumors newbie

An update. I found a thread about deleting the itunesdb file and all files in that folder. It worked I have now got past the "I tunes can't read your phone" stage but I only see the summery tab. I can restore as new phone or as a back up ( I have an old one thats it except my mobile sync folder) but I can't control click on the phone icon in itunes to create a back up know. Any way round this....