Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Scared the crap outta me.

TurdFerguson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
O'side!
I am selling my jailbrakeme.com jailbroken iPhone 3G after upgrading to iPhone 4. I went to settings>general>erase all content and settings and after an hour my phone was bricked! It would not get past the apple screen when booting. Luckly I've done jailbreaks before and was able to throw it into DFU mode and restore. Now everything is working fine. Bottome line if your gonna erase all settings you should probabally do a 'start as new iPhone' restore first.

I'm probabally gonna get flamed for this thread, but I didn't know so others might not know also. Especially since the new JB is so easy.

Blazer0x

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
The exact same thing happened to me when I sold my 3GS. I did the same "erase all data" option and then just powered it off. The guy that bought it said it wouldn't boot and I had to talk him through doing a DFU restore, after which it was fine.

Comment

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
my phone was bricked!

Here's another one. Wish people actually understood what bricked means. I think I bricked my garage door today. I backed out a little too quick and it stopped opening. Be back later, I'm going to go brick my toilet now.

Comment

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
I see lots if these

But Not these

Comment

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
How about the term "hose"? This means that the OS is inoperable, but a DFU restore will put back a working copy of iOS so the device can still be used.

Comment

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
My little cousin got so scared one time, she literally crapped her pants. Now she is 13 and we don't let her live it down.

Comment

crazycanucks

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Yep, way too many people think all it does is remove their info from the phone.

I have had a 3g and a 3GS and I assumed that it just "erases all content and settings" I am a techie by profession for many many years, and I wouldnt blame people if that's what they thought. When you look at that option on your iphone, you assume that is all it's going to do "Erase all content and settings", not Format.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.