Scared the crap outta me.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TurdFerguson, Aug 5, 2010.

1. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

I am selling my jailbrakeme.com jailbroken iPhone 3G after upgrading to iPhone 4. I went to settings>general>erase all content and settings and after an hour my phone was bricked! It would not get past the apple screen when booting. Luckly I've done jailbreaks before and was able to throw it into DFU mode and restore. Now everything is working fine. Bottome line if your gonna erase all settings you should probabally do a 'start as new iPhone' restore first.

I'm probabally gonna get flamed for this thread, but I didn't know so others might not know also. Especially since the new JB is so easy.

2. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Dont flame. This happened to my old 3g. My power button didnt work and the phone bricked.

3. Blazer0x macrumors newbie

The exact same thing happened to me when I sold my 3GS. I did the same "erase all data" option and then just powered it off. The guy that bought it said it wouldn't boot and I had to talk him through doing a DFU restore, after which it was fine.

4. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

:rolleyes:

5. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Here's another one. Wish people actually understood what bricked means. I think I bricked my garage door today. I backed out a little too quick and it stopped opening. Be back later, I'm going to go brick my toilet now.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

7. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

How about the term "hose"? This means that the OS is inoperable, but a DFU restore will put back a working copy of iOS so the device can still be used.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nice :D

9. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

My little cousin got so scared one time, she literally crapped her pants. Now she is 13 and we don't let her live it down.

10. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Another thread where someone didn't understand just what erase all content and settings does.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, way too many people think all it does is remove their info from the phone.

12. crazycanucks macrumors regular

I have had a 3g and a 3GS and I assumed that it just "erases all content and settings" I am a techie by profession for many many years, and I wouldnt blame people if that's what they thought. When you look at that option on your iphone, you assume that is all it's going to do "Erase all content and settings", not Format.