Scared to buy a mac..help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kucingkecil, Apr 26, 2009.

1. kucingkecil macrumors newbie

hey everyone...i need some advice from all the mac pros here :)

i'm going back to grad school in september and i'm looking to buy a new laptop. i'm a business student, so i'll be using it mostly for microsoft office & keynote, and basic stuff like internet, skype, music, some light video editing.

i had a terrible experience with an apple computer before. i bought a macbook when it first came out and it was broken just 2 weeks after (LCD broken), then 2 months later (motherboard broken), and then just a few months after it is broken again (the computer just shuts down by itself after i turn it on). i RARELY use that computer, because it was always broken! so i don't know what could've caused it. i live in indonesia, where the service is not that good, now that the guarantee is over the macbook is just lying there, unused. so u can understand why i hesitate in buying another mac.

i've just been introduced to keynote lately and i loved it! so i'm kinda interested in getting the new macbook. my Q is...
    - do u think it's stable enough for me to buy now?
    - have you ever heard of any problems about the new macbook?
    - or do u think i should wait?

thanks a lot!!!!!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The new unibody MacBook is a terrific machine
    Are there isolated problems? Yes... as with all laptops and technology
    Reading in the Forums you are much more likely to read about issues than satisfied customers

Having said that... odds are you will find the new MacBook an excellent purchase

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1

I used to work in electronics retail, then IT and I can tell you that every single brand of every electronic device gets lemons. Its not rare in the least.

I switched to mac a little over a year ago and haven't looked back since.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

1. Yes.
    2. Yes.
    3. If you're waiting until school starts (I don't know when it starts in Indonesia) you might as well wait for speed bumps or whatever, but I wouldn't wait too long.

5. Loalq macrumors newbie

Hey,

I switched to mac a little over one year ago in may, when I bought a macbook for my wife. Later on I bought an imac and this last week bought a macbook pro. So now I own THREE apple machines to replace ONE crappy PC I had before (hope I am not becoming too obsessed with mac!).

I can not say it is perfect, far from it, but it is still way better than any PC, OSX runs smoother than Vista (XP would be ok but c'mon, it is just not pretty anymore and make me feel like I am at the office) and they also sit amazingly well anywhere around the house -- they are also design items, so I guess you pay the price for that too.

Still I hardly insist for someone else to buy because it is VERY EXPENSIVE in comparison to PCs, and like anything else it may present problems. But I do not regret making the switch and I am in overall very satisfied with the whole mac experience...