Scared to buy iPod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by nylock10, Jan 16, 2008.

1. nylock10 macrumors regular

Hey,

I'm very tempted to buy an iPod touch, I was waiting for the keynote to see what other things Apple would launch but I wasn't very interested.

Should I just go ahead and buy an iPod touch, or wait until the 2nd generation iPod touches come out? I know that might not be for a while though, as flash memory is still very expensive.

I just need a new iPod and I really like the touches, they have many features I could use.

2. robecq macrumors regular

robecq

3. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I bought one in November and they're great. You'll love it. Now that you waited until MWSF, you'll even get the much-complained-about $20 "upgrade" free if you buy it. What a deal. ;)

And if you're wondering about the screens, mine personally is great.

4. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Buy it. They won't update the iPod touch hardware for a while.

5. Heather1 macrumors regular

Heather1

I'll say wait for the SDK which will go with the touch in Febuary (right?). That's what i'm waiting for too.

6. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

No reason to wait. That's just a software upgrade. I'd say it should be a free upgrade, but I suppose that's not a given anymore...

7. nylock10 thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I will buy it.

Will 8GB hold enough space for about 4 - 6GB worth of music/videos and a few apps (when the SDK gets released)?

8. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Yes it will, apps take up minimal space. If you can afford to spend the money then buy it, its an amazing device. Without a doubt, the best piece of technology I have ever purchased.

9. nylock10 thread starter macrumors regular

It looks like a great iPod, actually with all the new applications we'll be getting next month it's pretty much an ultra-portable computer (take that, MacBook Air).

Thanks for the quick replies :D

10. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Absolutely. I firmly maintain that this is an ultra-portable computer/pda/whatever you want to call it. Between stock apps and what you can add on to it, what more could you want? I love it.

11. Jecko024 macrumors member

Jecko024

buy it, and the older the firmware the better (or so I think -- maybe not others) because Jailbreaking is easier :D No Matter, I love the touch, way more then the new Nanos. Granted the second gens may have bluetooth or more, I dont know how many people would really use it--all though I wish my touch had it, I would probably never use it.

12. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

I'm leaning towards buying a 16gb for myself now as well. Not to concerned with the $20 upgrade fee if I don't get it direct from apple.

The only thing I am concerned about now is if apple decides to pull a shocker and does a special event for the SDK release with an announcement that they are doing any of the following: increasing flash memory, adding bluetooth, or dropping the price by about $100. Not too likely but you know steve....

13. kshott macrumors member

kshott

14. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Buy it. Don't worry about the memory capacity, by the time it's to the size you think you want you'll want to replace the one you got now. Also, make smart playlists, IMO it's the best way to use the space. SDK apps won't take up very make space, just look at the size of Apple's official apps.

15. David G. macrumors 6502a

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Buy it.

16. ArchiMark macrumors 6502

The SDK is a Software Development Kit for software developers to have the tools to be able to develop apps for the iPhone/Touch.

So, unless you're a software developer why would you wait for it?

:confused:

My advice, like others is just buy one now!!!

:D

17. I Sold LISA's macrumors newbie

why doesn't iTouch have GPS?

I am looking at iTouch, and also a Verizon phone with GPS. I wish the iTouch had GPS. Anyone know why this feature is not included?

The WI-FI locator type of service for mapping will not work when i am driving in my car. Plus, I am in a rural area. GPS works great, and I just wonder why it is not included?

18. Heather1 macrumors regular

Heather1

I'm just afraid they'll give away a few freebee apps for new buyers. Besides, it's only a few days away. Well, to each his own, really.

19. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

an extra $100 to double your capacity is a good deal. Go 16gb.

20. nylock10 thread starter macrumors regular

Is there anyway to install MobileChat on the iPod touch without jailbreaking it?

21. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

it will definitly hold but for 100 dollars more you get twice the space. I know not eveyone has a spare 100 bucks but I would suggest saving up the extra Benjamin and getting a 16gb

22. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

no? But wait for the SDK in Februrary. We might see some sort of IM app

23. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

24. nylock10 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot :D

I actually just got the 8GB model since I don't need 16GB and I'm saving to buy $99 pair of Shure headphones.

Thanks a lot, very excited to open this thing up 8D

Now I just need to see if Apple will give me some sort of $20 gift certificate for the 5 apps.