Scared to download 3.0.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ant131531, Aug 3, 2009.

1. ant131531 macrumors member

After reading rumors about severe bugs in 3.0.1, i am scared to download on my iPhone. Should i download it and hope my luck goes out again r just wait until the next software update?

2. Ericatomars macrumors regular

3. Synthetickiller macrumors regular

I downloaded it, no problems thus far. I did have to fix my cookies, etc, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Where's the cell signal fix apple? :mad:

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Why do you sweat small things? :)

If you're worried about the SMS hack, then download it. The hysteria has died down, so the download should go with out a hitch.

If, you're not worried about the hack, then you should wait for 3.1, unless like me you just felt like updating to get a fresher iPhone. I've had no problems.

5. ant131531 thread starter macrumors member

lololol...ive read rumors of the phone becoming UNOPERATIONAL...difference then a few scratches or 1/2 milimeter cracks...

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

7. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Any time any software or change comes out your going to read horror stories. Sometimes people have defective phones and it was bound to happen anyways. If your install didn't work, wouldn't you post on here and say something too? What if your install went perfect, would you post then? My point is that the percentage of people with install errors is so small.

8. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Edit: double post deleted

9. curly14 macrumors regular

curly14

just do it man i promise i won't hurt...lol:D

i did it was painless

10. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

software can be fixed with more software... scratches and cracks can't be fixed with more scratches and cracks

11. NathanA macrumors 6502a

I have updated 4 phones so far to 3.0.1 without a hitch. Not sure what bugs you are referring to, unless you are talking about the problems some people have had with iTunes not being able to install the update and leaving the user without an operational phone at the end. Pretty sure that's not an actual bug in the 3.0.1 software...3.0.1 is 3.0 with one fewer bug in it (the SMS vulnerability has been patched).

I have a hard time believing that anybody has actually permanently bricked their phone by installing 3.0.1, or if they did, that it was actually the act of doing so that caused it. iPhones are for the most part pretty much "unbrickable," what with the DFU mode and all. Pretty sure that if you can't restore with DFU or can't enter DFU in the first place, you probably already had a hardware issue under the surface to begin with, and it would have eventually manifested itself in one way or another, whether you tried to update to 3.0.1 or not.

I would be curious to know if anybody who has actually suffered from the iTunes errors during installation has tried to do the update on a completely different computer; I have seen iTunes gack up in interesting and unique ways on unique machines. (Maybe somebody has already tried this and posted their experience, and I just missed it.)

-- Nathan

12. lansi23 macrumors member

i updated my 3g without any issues. itunes download the firmware, it installs and didnt even have to do a restore once it was done. everything was exactly the way it was in 3.0.

13. Kelly Craig macrumors member

Kelly Craig

14. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

15. bbwinkle macrumors member

Yeah, zero problems here. It literally just patched the SMS hack, how could anything go wrong?

16. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Its just rumors op, there are no detected threats on the 3.0.1 :rolleyes:

Running the updated firmware a-ok here

17. The-Barron macrumors member

The-Barron

i updated to 3.01 this morning, and my phone was forced to restore during the update as something went wrong, im assuming with windows, stupid OS, but one restore, back up and music move later everything seems to fine

*touch wood*

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What bugs?

my 3GS is working the same under 3.01 as it did on 3.0 and given that the update addresses a security hole in SMS, I'd say its safer to apply it then not.

19. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

It's up to you if you want/need the 3.0.1 update.

Are you worried about the SMS vulnerability? Then get the 3.0.1 patch.

Want the latest update? Then get the 3.0.1 patch.

Don't care about either of the two? Then stick with 3.0 and wait it out.

20. SeanMcC macrumors regular

I updated to 3.0.1 and haven't had any problems. If you're that worried, just wait for 3.1, but it's not worth starting a thread on here.