Scared to upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by fosterpants, Nov 13, 2011.

1. fosterpants macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm fairly new to Mac so go easy on me.

I am currently running Snow Leopard but want to upgrade to Lion mainly because Photostream won't work unless I do. But I'm afraid I'm going to lose settings and programs that have taken quite a bit of time to set up (for me) such as Growl, gfxCardstatus, WiTopia vpn, dropbox ect...

When I upgrade to Lion, will I have to go through an set these programs up all over again or will my Mac be essentially just like I had it only with the new features of Lion?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Unless there's a need to upgrade to Lion, why do it? I only upgrade to a new OS if it offers something I need or want that my current OS doesn't provide. So far, I haven't seen anything in Snow Leopard or Lion that would motivate me to upgrade from Leopard. One of the primary reasons is tools that I use daily would no longer work on SL or Lion. The loss of productivity isn't worth it, especially since I wouldn't gain anything useful. If you don't have a compelling reason for upgrading, then don't.

3. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Most programs should work.

I would advise you to do some research as some applications may need to be upgraded. Some may not work at all. Research is your best friend.

4. Soliber macrumors regular

How about the enhanced security?

5. wpotere, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011

wpotere Guest

How about there really aren't any over SL.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Correct. There aren't any meaningful security differences between SL and Lion.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

There are a ton of sites you can use to research program compatibility. Keep in mind these 3 general points, though:
    1. Rosetta (PowerPC-only) programs will NOT run at all.
    2. Programs that depend on QuickDraw will (usually) still run, but will NOT compile from source code anymore.
    3. iSync is no longer present in Lion - any programs that depended on it will not work anymore.

8. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

I'm on Lion and considered going back to SL once...

...then I discovered that the 20,000+ email archives I keep can't be "downgraded" because Lion changed their format when it was installed. I didn't realize this until weeks later and my old SL backups were gone. Always figured at least my data would be reversible but not so with the new Apple mail.

Make sure you're going to stay on Lion if you make the jump.

9. wpotere Guest

10. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Sure. If you have a choice.

11. waynep macrumors 6502

Of those you listed, I use Growl, gfxCardstatus, Dropbox. When I did the App Store upgrade from SL to Lion, all that worked for me. But I made sure I was on the latest version of all of them first. The only think I don't like about Lion is some reduce battery life. Other than that, its working fine.

You could make a Carbon Copy Clone of your system, and try Lion out. Then you could put your system back if you don't like it.

12. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Full ASLR? Sandboxing? Privilege Separation? Integrated, completely transparent Full Disk Encryption?

13. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

Tried Lion; am very happily back with SL 10.6.8. My biggest complaint was I had sleep issues (MBP wouldn't sleep after X minutes of inactivity), plus, suddenly, my battery state became 'Service Battery' (which ultimately disappeared upon going back to SL).

All in all, there are no new features in Lion that make me want to try again; maybe after .3 or so, or when new programs require Lion.

14. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Sandboxing WAS available in Snow Leopard, it just wasn't extended to user processes until Lion. Just thought I'd point that out.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not significant enough to justify the average user upgrading just for that. SL has more than enough security features for the average user.

16. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

I am not quite sure what that sentence gets across.

Unfortunately I think the average user is totally security unaware for the most part. Until something goes bad sometimes really really bad.

Lion by default shares a bunch of services and by default does not use much of the delivered firewall.

I would hope that most average users would look at the security and privacy system preferences and then eventually makes informed wise decisions about changes to the default settings. I doubt that happens in most cases though.