Scary Fans! (After HDD Upgrade)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by simonsi, Jan 16, 2014.

1. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Had a scary hour today, I was upgrading the 1TB HDD in my dual SSD/HDD MBP - taking the HDD from a 12mm-thick Seagate 5400rpm to a 1TB Hitachi 9mm-thick 7200rpm.

So capacity the same, read/write speed improvement and the case will fit properly (lower cover had to sit slightly proud due to the Seagate's depth.

CCC'd the data from Seagate to Hitachi using a USB dock for the bare drive.

Fitted the Hitachi (same physical size as the original 320GB!), powered on.

Fans full blast continuously?!?!?!?! Bah! SMC reset, still same.

Replaced Seagate, still full blast, temps OK so suspecting a problem caused by the drive but alas no, the Seagate is the same when refitted. SMC reset again, still same.

Now I'm not a fan of the SMC reset protocol, there isn't enough confirmation that it has worked, so SMC reset again, still same. Fans shut down when asleep but full speed when awake. Yes Spotlight is running (as it has detected the drive has changed presumably)....

Put the Hitachi in again <shrug> SMC reset again, still same. Friend comes to the door, spend 20mins in discussion with her, return to MBP to find fans working normally....????

So does the SMC reset take several minutes to "take" or what? Anyone with similar experiences?

BTW the Hitachi sustains R/W rates of 100mbs more than the Seagate.... :)

2. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

If you were able to run the Apple Hardware Test, you might find that one of your temperature sensors is faulty. Might just have disturbed it when you were fitting the drives.

3. simonsi thread starter macrumors 601

simonsi

Good idea - do you know where they are located? (the sensors)

4. Funkatronic macrumors 6502

Funkatronic

Usually when spotlight is re-indexing the whole drive the fans do ramp up quite a bit. That would explain the 20 min waiting period, atleast that's whats happened to me when i've put in a new drive in my MBP.

5. simonsi thread starter macrumors 601

simonsi

Ah OK, I looked at the CPU temps etc and they all seemed cool so put it down to not being load-related (I could see Spotlight running), but maybe Mavericks turns the fans up in anticipation.....?