Scary Keyboard replacement moment

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kyrielis, Nov 25, 2010.

1. kyrielis macrumors newbie

So, I actually ordered a MBP quite a few weeks ago on the refurbished store, but then I decided to return it as I saw that there was basically only 10 pounds difference between the education discount and the refurbished.

SO I went into the Apple store and asked them if they actually replace keyboards (as I'm not a huge fan of the British Key layout), and the person said that they would do it for free. So I made my purchase on the spot and two days ago I got an email telling me to bring my MBP in. Two days later, I went into the Apple store to pick it up and voila it's actually quite amazing how they changed the key layout (I was very confused because of the Unibody design... and how that actually works with changing keyboard layouts).

Here's the catch: They wanted to charge me 168 pounds (I'm guessing roughly $250). Which... obviously freaked me out. Thank God they waived it for me but seriously why would a KEYBOARD LAYOUT cost so much?

Anyways if anybody was wondering, it is possible to get a keyboard layout change... for quite a hefty fee unless you've been promised it as part of a purchase deal.

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Dude, for future reference.

If you ordered your Apple products from within the university or qualifying college; you can choose to have one of the other keyboard layouts including the better (IMO) US layout all by clicking on the "select" button... You can even choose between Matte or Glossy screens (depending on the model).

3. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

They don't replace the keys, they replace the whole top case, which normally costs as much as they quoted you.