Scary Noise

Neb154

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Has anyone had any experience with a scary noise (almost like a mechanical burp) coming out of their Macbook Pro when pressing the power button? I just got mine in the mail yesterday, and at least five times, when I pressed the power button or once even starting iDvd, the laptop made some horrible sound.

JHacker

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
East Coast
Has anyone had any experience with a scary noise (almost like a mechanical burp) coming out of their Macbook Pro when pressing the power button? I just got mine in the mail yesterday, and at least five times, when I pressed the power button or once even starting iDvd, the laptop made some horrible sound.
Do you have external speakers plugged in? Sometimes mine make a popping sound when I turn on the computer because it's getting a signal.

torpy

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2007
Sydney + Los Angeles
Yea, that happens with my barely-week-old mbp as well. I think it's just the Superdrive spinning up to check whether there's any media inside, it happens when I start up XP in Parallels too..

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
My MBP makes some TERRIBLE noises when I first put a disc in. It is LOUD. Nothing in the audio samples comes close to the sounds that mine makes. At first I thought it wasn't normal, but I learned to accept it. I still don't think/know if it's "normal", but I don't know if I want to gamble with it. Maybe I'll have to go the school and play with the MBP in the bookstore and see if it does it.