Scavenging a 2010 Air for SSD / Thunderbolt drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by FlotationDevice, Aug 21, 2012.

1. FlotationDevice, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012

FlotationDevice macrumors newbie

I have a 2010 Air (128 gig SSD) that got mild but terminal water damage over the winter. I bought a 2011 Air (a little jealous I did not hold out for the Ivy Bridge, but the i7 / 256 gig is working great).

I also have a Mini Server 2011 at home; anyone have experience raiding a 2010 mac air for the SSD and putting it into an enclosure? It would complete my mini server for booting and a windows VM.

I do have a TB display so need to make sure I can make all of this work together...

2. KPOM macrumors G5

I haven't used it, but Other World Computing sells an adapter for $70 that converts the internal SSD into a USB 3.0 or 2.0 flash drive.

3. JPamplin macrumors 6502

JPamplin

4. FlotationDevice thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. In an ideal world I would connect the internal to a Thunderbolt port using an enclosure and adaptor vs. mount it as an internal HD in my Mini Server. Has anyone does this?

As a fallback I could remove the 2nd internal drive in the mini, replace with the SSD and an adaptor (if such an adaptor exists), then put the 500gig into a Tbold enclosure so maintain access to the storage...