Scenarios where Versions will be a headache

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Sensamic, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Hey everyone.

The only new feature on Lion which I hate is Versions, and to some extend auto save. Let me show you why with some possible scenarios.

You navigate through your pictures and find one you want to rotate or crop, for example. You open it on preview and hit edit/rotate. Just with that you have now 2 versions of the same picture, and all you just wanted to do is rotate. Do I need to keep the picture on its previous version? No. This will become annoying.

Another scenario would be that you edit a picture (or any other file, like a document) by mistake, like rotate by mistake. Here again, you just got yourself 2 versions of the same file, and all by mistake. What to do? You cant delete or undo these new version, or is it possible? To my knowledge you cant. You may choose "Lock" option, but this does not delete the new versions you have created of the previous ones.

There are many other scenarios where versions will become annoying. The same goes with auto save. Lets say you are working on a document all day but at the end of the day you just dont want to keep any of the work done because its a mess. Auto save has been saving all the progress without you wanting to, so you can go back to the previous version but inevitably you will have a new version created.

What do you guys think?

2. infowarfare, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

infowarfare macrumors 6502

:eek: Wow. Ok, it seems like you are just complaining to complain. Your own arguments contradict each other. Let me see if I can help you out there...

Actually, yes, for the exact reason you mention below. What if all you want to do is rotate but you make a mistake? Good thing you can go back to the previous version! And in doing so, now you can start from there. I don't see the "annoyance" at. all.

I just don't get this at all. Again, you make a mistake, you get to go back to the previous version and start again without losing anything! How is this annoying!? Once you go back and start working, it's not saving the future previous version you went back from. It starts re-saving from where you are, so if you make a mistake again, you can always go back.

Uh, if you don't want to keep all the work you just did, toss it in the trash.

I think you are crazy or just trolling, seriously (or very young and just don't grasp the concept of Versions and AutoSave.)

3. JTToft macrumors 68040

Like the previous poster, I simply do not understand your arguments.
    I don't believe you have shown any scenarios where Versions will be a headache.

4. Blipp macrumors 6502

What if you rotate it by mistake you say? If only someone could invent some sort of utility for rotating images in any direction of your choosing...

5. Sensamic thread starter macrumors 68030

There should be at least a way to delete those versions in the background when you want if you dont ever need them again.

6. Sensamic thread starter macrumors 68030

If I were to trash the document I lose all the previous work done days before, wouldnt I? I was referring to the specific work of only one day.

7. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

There is. Click on the window title bar of a specific version to get the option to delete it.

8. waynep macrumors 6502

You can delete any version want to . . . try it!

9. infowarfare macrumors 6502

Jeez, then in that case (now that you've changed the scenario from what you previously stated) you go back to the previous version you had from days ago... thanks to Versions! Again, you are contradicting yourself and/or just not getting it. :rolleyes:

Even for people who do NOT like most of the changes in Lion, the one thing they DO like is Versions and AutoSave. How are you not getting this? Why are you trying to make it more complicated than it actually is!? :confused:

10. Sensamic thread starter macrumors 68030

Im just sharing my opinion. To me its a drastic change, since I work a lot with documents and I'll need to adjust to this new way of treating files.

Who knows... Maybe in time I will come to like it. Right now its difficult to adjust.

I will try that option and see if I can delete previous versions. Thanks for the tip!

11. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

How about just pretend it's not there. You'll probably never know.

12. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Yeah it's not like you have to do anything extra. Everything still functions like before except now Mac OS is keeping a "history" of changes on a file for your convenience.