Sceptre 23"

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by KingYaba, Oct 6, 2007.

1. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There's a lot of cannabis-influenced-looking information on that specification page. The actual screen resolution appears to be 1360 x 768, which is a very common 720p resolution (my 720p television is at this resolution also).

However, unlike most displays, it appears to be able to accept and downscale incoming resolutions higher than its native resolution (for instance, most screens, TV or computer monitor, will not accept a resolution higher than native, as 1440x900 would be here, at all).

Likewise, it's technically possible that (when not getting a PC input, but getting an input on component), it's able to dynamically downscale 1080p signals. That's not standard in 720p displays either -- I don't believe mine is able to do that (it can do 1080i but not 1080p). I guess it's technically possible -- perhaps because it cannot handle that kind of scaling on digital signals but it can do so on analog component signals? Televisions also very typically are able to do different things based on whether they get a VGA, HDMI, or Component input, for complex and mysterious reasons...

Now, how that actually plays out, I'd have to defer to someone who has actually used one of these. This is kind of an odd bastard screen. Septre has made some nice stuff, but I'm not honestly sure why you'd buy this. It has some glaring weaknesses from several standpoints -- it does not have HDCP, it does not have HDMI ports (meaning that you will have a pain getting the audio into it from HDMI devices, as well as having to buy an HDMI-DVI converter, and still only getting love if the device does not use HDCP), it has a very low resolution for a 23" computer display (albeit a normal one for a TV of this size), etc, etc.

3. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

it supports HD ready and supports something with full HD. Therefore it probably scale down to HD ready. A lot of TV's do the same.

5. KingYaba thread starter macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Anyone with hands-on experience here at MacRumors?

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Here is my experience with Sceptre. When my 50" rear projection tv died I found myself in no position to drop a few grand or even a grand and a half on a new TV. Since this was just sometime in June I wasn't about to spend money on "old" technology aka another rear projection tv. Costco had some crazy deal on a 42" Sceptre, I jumped. It was about $900 shipped for a 42" LCD HDTV. Money was an object that month and no TV wasn't an option to me. Therefore, I got what I paid for. How I know this is I tried the 32" Sharp Aquos as my external display for my Mac. Watching TV on it was a dream and so night and day to the Sceptre. On paper, they have similar specs. I think the response rate was different and the contrast ratio varied but only marginally if I recall. However, I got what I paid for in both the Sharp and the Sceptre.

I plugged my PowerBook into the Sceptre and it was unacceptable. I did end up taking back the Sharp and getting an ACD because I was unable to get the Sharp to calibrate with my calibration software and I thought I could force another resolution using SwitchResX. I was wrong. ;)

It sounds like you will use this as your external display. I would spring for something along the lines of Sharp, but live and let live. I can't say I haven't tried to save a buck. I just learned fast that in the world of LCD HDTVs you do get what you pay for.