Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Swissjob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
Basel, Switzerland.
Hi,

We have a G4 iMac running 10.3.9 in the lab and I want it to shutdown automatically each evening. I set the time in the Energy Saving Schedule pane in systems preferences. Nothing happens.
There are two account son the computer and I've tried it in both. I've confirmed that only one is logged in at any time. I've tried it with locking the pane and keeping it unlocked. I've tried scheduling it to sleep rather than shutting down and still nothing.
Help would be appreciated.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
puzzling, that should work. though i have never scheduled shutdown/sleep.

What about just setting it to go to sleep after 15-20 minutes, Macs use very little power (0.5W or so) while asleep so your power usage shouldn't be considerably higher.

siredsmithjr

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2008
Realise this is rather old now, but have you sorted your problem?

There can be issues with scheduled shutdowns in some cases.

Firstly, your mac may have to be awake in order to shutdown. This isn't as irritating as it seems, as you can schedule the computer to switch on (which will awaken if it is already on) 5 minutes (or long enough to turn on, and not too long as to let it re-sleep) before the scheduled shutdown.

Also, there may be an issue if more than one user is logged on at the same time, or if no user is logged in (login screen) although this is fixed as of Mac OSX 10.4.6

Hope that helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.