Schedule to startup/wake - lid closed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbsmithmac, May 5, 2013.

1. jbsmithmac macrumors regular

Does anyone know if using the scheduler under the Energy Saver preferences will work if the lid is closed?

Meaning at night I want my Mac to wake up to do some things, but I keep my lid closed for various reasons. Will that affect the Energy scheduler?

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

You can use a program called Insomnia to keep it awake when the lid is closed and then I think the scheduler will override that and shut it down/wake it up. That's a possible solution.

Be careful about keeping the lid closed with it on though. Heat is dissipated through the keyboard and can cause the temperature to rise when closed.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As Mac notebooks are designed to run safely in clamshell mode, this isn't a concern. Any increase in temps will only be a few degrees, and not enough to cause any problems, as primary cooling is through the vents at the rear, near the hinge.

4. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Okay thanks for clearing that up then. I wanted to do the same thing(use it closed) and was looking into it and noticed that comment to be a reoccurring thing so figured I would say it here.

Probably shouldn't listen to everything I read on the Apple.com forums haha....

5. jbsmithmac thread starter macrumors regular

I'm assuming apps like this only really work when a user sets it up / turns it on before leaving the machine.

Meaning I'd have to enable insomnia before going to bed...then relying on my job to run and then the energy scheduler to shut the machine down.

While I think this would work, I can't guarantee that I'd be at the computer to enable it.

Maybe this is an excuse to get an iMac!! :)

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You could set Insomnia to automatically launch on startup, so it would prevent sleeping with the lid closed. Then use the energy saver settings to schedule shut down/start up times.

7. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Exactly like I was thinking :) That's the best option I can think of OP.

8. jbsmithmac thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the info...I'll toy around with it. I'm thinking it may not meet my needs (desires is probably a better term). I'll see what I can come up with.